The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#65066 - 05/03/06 11:37 AM Re: perils of the mini-kit
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I'm sorry and this can sound really stupid but : who is Cody?
Is he some kind of survival-expert? (something like Ray Mears?)

#65067 - 05/03/06 03:17 PM Re: perils of the mini-kit
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Cody Lundin is a fairly recognized expert in survival.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1586852...5Fencoding=UTF8

He's okay, although I think his fans tend to do a bit of hero worship. What I find most important is what you can take away from his material, but you still have to think for yourself. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for others (different hand sizes, experience, preferences, abilities, etc.). One thing that really bothers me about his preferred kit is that you are dangling a knife with a large and potentially painful block right at chest/heart level around your neck. Sorry, but I've never liked things around my neck to begin with and I certainly am not hanging a couple of pounds of gear under my shirt if it's not flat and completely safe, not to mention comfortable....

#65068 - 05/03/06 03:57 PM Re: perils of the mini-kit
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Garrett,

Thanks for the true-life stories. Being relatively new to this, I'm still putting together my supplies and techniques and it's helpful to learn from other's experience. Thanks to all of the rest of the survival crew for your help as well!

Right now I'm not worried about make my kits the smallest possible. I'm trying to find the best gear for the prices I can afford. Being new, perhaps I'm focusing too much on redundancy. For example, I've got both a butane lighter and REI stormproof matches in my EDC. Next month, I'll purchase another fire starter (i.e., blast match) and move the matches to my BOB. My water and food stash is growing a few bottles and cans each month.

Although we may want to convince ourselves that we can get every piece of gear and become solely self-sufficent in every emergency, I believe that reality will teach us that we still will have to cooperate with others to survive a disaster. If I share these ideas with friends and family then we should be better equipped by pooling skills and resources.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 503 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
Yesterday at 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
Yesterday at 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.