Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#64012 - 04/17/06 12:14 PM Kevlar and/or Spectra Gloves
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to include a pair of Kevlar and/or Spectra gloves in the BOBs I'm making. I see they vary in style and price. There are simple ones on ebay for $4.60 per pair (if you buy them in multiples of seven). Gloves on ebay
I don't like to buy via ebay without conducting a bit of research. Has anyone experienced using these gloves?
Any preferences as to type or makers? I'd prefer not to buy the expensive ones ($20-$45 pr.) as I need eight pair.

Once Again, thank you in advance for your input.

#64013 - 04/17/06 01:48 PM Re: Kevlar and/or Spectra Gloves
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Remeber, kevlar and spectra aren't cut proof. At leasr once a year, some twit rookie stabs himself in the belly while showing off how effective his body armour is.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#64014 - 04/17/06 01:53 PM Re: Kevlar and/or Spectra Gloves
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Blackhawk industries sells spectra liners that are cut-proof
http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=4533&d=

Edited by JIM (04/17/06 01:55 PM)

#64015 - 04/17/06 03:25 PM Re: Kevlar and/or Spectra Gloves
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
"WARNING: Slash Resistant not Cut Proof."

Unless you are wearing chain mail your not going to have cut proof gloves, spectra/kevlar gloves will still cut easily, just not as easily as, say, cotten. I use them when I'm picking up rocks and asphalt since they usually put holes in cotten gloves.

#64016 - 04/17/06 06:29 PM Re: Kevlar and/or Spectra Gloves
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I cannot specifically comment on these particular gloves. What I can say is, I have purchased a number of Kevlar gloves (fingerless) off of Ebay (in the $4-6 range) for use in rescue situations. I use them both as a stand-alone glove for some thermal/abrasion protection while setting up technical rescue systems and in combination with my regular leather gloves (I wear them over the leather gloves) for helicopter evacs, where we are controlling a tag line, as a substantial amount of heat is generated. I have never had any problems and find them to be a valuable asset.

Pete

#64017 - 04/20/06 06:04 PM Re: Kevlar and/or Spectra Gloves
Bill_Roberts Offline

Here's some with a leather palm for $10 a pair.

http://www.northernsafety.com/cart/cart.cfm?PROD_NUM=125%2D22885&Action=01

They also have sleeves for $4 EACH. If you want 2 you have to buy 2.

http://www.northernsafety.com/cart/cart.cfm?PROD_NUM=136%2D1132&Action=01

And low end Kevlar gloves for $2.89 a pair.

http://www.northernsafety.com/cart/cart.cfm?PROD_NUM=125%2D2201%20S&Action=01

Over all, they have 52 different Kevlar products.

Edited by Bill_Roberts (04/20/06 06:12 PM)

#64018 - 04/22/06 10:03 AM Re: Kevlar and/or Spectra Gloves
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
I thought the primary warning about Kevlar and Spectra gloves was that they were not puncture resistaint. There is the standard disclaimer that they are cut resistaint, not cut "proof".

I don't have any Spectra gloves, but my understanding is Spectra tends to be a bit more cut resistaint, but also a bit more "slippery" (not sure how much in a glove) and much more prone to melting. So, don't grab any burning items with Spectra gloves on! :-)

Personally, I carry a pair of Ansell ArmorKnit *and* a pair of Turtleskin Full Coverage gloves, sized where I can wear the knit gloves as a liner.

The Turtleskin gloves are basically a thin Kevlar glove knit so tightly that it is puncture resistaint in addition to cut resistaint. The downside of this is, like other puncture resistaint gloves, they are a bit stiff. I like the full coverage gloves because it is just the thin layer of Turtleskin which protects the entire hand and nothing else. This way you get maximum possible flexibility while retaining protection.

But because they are thin and have no padding I carry the liner. That way I can wear either one alone, or both together.

(Actually, I have to admit I actual carry two pairs of the full coverage in different sizes. The smaller one to be worn without the liner, and the larger one to be carried with the liner. This provides the best fit for me).

The knit gloves are very cheap. They come with and without "dots". Both gloves are very light to the point there is almost no penalty for carrying them in my bag.

And I like the fact that Kevlar is very heat resistaint.

-john

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 788 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
Yesterday at 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.