If events forced me to BO from my home and then have to abandone my vehicle , that would probably mean that the s has truly htf . Although you may never need to protect yourself or hunt with a firearm . This is all about being prepared . There are many people " good " and "bad " that would try to take your stuff in a desperate situation. Personaly I would not want to hump around a " battle rifle " and many magazines of ammo like some people say they would . But I think it would be wise to include a large caliber handgun [ 38/357 , 9 mil. 45acp ] and if possible a rifle or shotgun . A 22 is a handy tool to have . But , If you decided to have only one gun , I just don't think a 22 is a good choice . The weight of the ammo would be a burden for sure . But , I think the pro's of having a larger caliber firearm definately outweigh the con's . My personal choices of firearms include a 38/357 revaolver , 38/357 lever rifle and a 12ga. shotgun . It would depend on the situation as to how much I would try to carry . I'd say I would try to take at least 125 rounds of 38 , 125 rounds 357 and 25 rounds of 12ga. if I had to BO on foot . If the wieght proved to be too much I would try to stash 1 or 2 of the guns somewhere that I might recover them later . I would always keep at least 1 gun . It would depend on my situation as to wich gun I would hang on to . Either the 12ga or the revolver .