There was a thread on this earlier on these forums. A couple of things here... improvising a weapon for self defense isn't the same as asking how to smuggle on bomb making materials or a multiple-target weapon (i.e. gun). In most SD situations, something to throw for distraction or blunt impact is the way to go, and it's not going to help you take over a jet.

This is certainly covered under free speech. I'm sick of people rolling over and saying "lock this" or "can't respond" because something is sensitive. Please, we have a right to defend ourselves, and to discuss how to do so. Moving it to a plane or train or bus makes ZERO difference. The only one is in your head because all of the FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) generated largely by those who shouldn't be doing so. Our own lovely security departments determined recently that every single airport they tested (21 if I'm not mistaken) allowed bomb making materials aboard. So, the illusion here is not only one of privacy of what you post (either here or between friends on chat or email) but also that you are safe in the air because the TSA takes away your multi-tool and tweezers.

Fear of exercising your right to speak freely about something that could save your life seems rather silly doesn't it? The NSA was just caught red handed piggybacking on all of AT&T's traffic - worldwide. This includes traffic coming from other providers like worldcom, etc. And you can be absolutely certain that AT&T isn't the only one. Every electronic bit is carefully screened at Fort Meade. Our privacy is a complete illusion, so saying that we shouldn't speak on forums doesn't make sense if you are saying it somewhere you think is private!

So, in the name of free speech, there are many ways to improvise defensive weapons. Fire extinguishers, blackjacks (socks with coins or heavy objects), thrown full coke cans, thrown heavy bags, using a meal tray as a shield, golf clubs, etc. I don't see how any of those items would help a would-be terrorist, but they could certainly help crew and passengers take down a threatening person or two.

The TSA and airlines need to have Air Marshals on every flight, hardened cockpits with armed and trained pilots (many are ex military anyway). They need to screen ALL luggage, checked or carry-on. Make sure all bags are run over by chemical sensors and dogs. Screen every single employee carefully and maintain rock solid security procedures for the INTERNAL employees (where the real danger lies)! All of the money necessary to do the real work is funnelled into our current system meant to provide an illusion of safety while (intentionally or unintentionally) harassing law-abiding citizens. Not only is it your right to talk about this, it's should be brought up more often and certainly brought to the attention of your elected officials.