Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#62463 - 03/21/06 05:19 AM Kids and Hunting?
desertrat1 Offline

Loc: Kingman AZ
How many folks teach their kids how to hunt, and more impotantly how to correcty handle weapons?

I started my klds early with an air pistol and they are now (ages 7 and 9 ) very safe when handling a gun. My 9 year old [censored] out my 24 year old nephew for how he handled his new 22 magnum.

Arizona doesn't have a minumum hunting age except for big game. i take my kids rabbit and quail hunting, and completely coach them, before, during and after the hunt.

The best thing is they've became even more aware of what is fair and sporting when it comes to hunting, rather than just shooting whatever is in their sights.

Anyone with similar results?

#62464 - 03/21/06 04:18 PM Re: Kids and Hunting?
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I taught my daughter to shoot a .22 revolver at 8 years old. I know it's backwards to learn handgun first and long gun second, but that's how I learned, and we both prefer shooting handguns. We both eventually got seriously involved in Cowboy Action Shooting, and she won state championships in the Junior division two years running.

I am an NRA instructor, and certified by the state police to teach CCW courses. I am often asked at what age kids should begin learning about/using guns. I answer by asking at what age would you let them use power tools or a power lawn mower? It's not about age, it'a about maturity and common sense. My brother is 11 years my senior, and I'd never let him handle a firearm. I'd never let him handle a circular saw either though.

#62465 - 03/21/06 04:27 PM Re: Kids and Hunting?
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I have taken all my boys shooting. I have wanted to take them hunting but by wife is such a wuss about it. She is of the mindset that guns are evil and if you touch one you will become evil and want to kill.

In a survival situation you may need to kill some animals for food to survive. This is particularly true when it is cold. Hunting is a good survival skill.

#62466 - 03/22/06 12:58 PM Re: Kids and Hunting?
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
My son (6) is bg for his age. He's had a Chipmunk single-shot .22 for a while, he does not get to use it alone, but we do shoot with it in our backyard range. He's still too fidgety for huntng, and I can't legally take him with me for another 6 years, but by then, I'm sure we'll have done some hunting by then.

#62467 - 03/22/06 01:39 PM Re: Kids and Hunting?
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I got my first real gun somewhere around 6th/7th grade. I still remember I was in the cub scouts and the local cub scout/boy scout group brought in soemoen do teach a hunters safety class and I passed it easily because my father had taught me a lot of safety with my little bb gun I had before that.
I think thats why out in the country you have so much less children shooting other childen. We grow up around guns so we don't try to sneak and play with them when parents are not home because were already familair with them.

#62468 - 03/22/06 01:41 PM Re: Kids and Hunting?
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My wife was sort of raised the same, everyone she knows and grew up with throught guns were evil. first couple time I took her to my parents she was kind of scared of the big gun rack in my old bedroom but has since gotten used to them and has shot a couple of mine now.

#62469 - 03/22/06 10:05 PM Re: Kids and Hunting?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Kids who aren't taught properly about guns are the very ones who think they are toys and treat them as such. Leaving gang killings out of the picture, I'll bet that the majority of kids killed were playing with the guns and killed their friend or sibling simply because they didn't know what they were doing.

Sue

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 211 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.