Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#60728 - 02/19/06 07:33 PM Re: Survival Fishing Question
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Part of why I don't carry trebles, and I'm not a fisherman so I could be wrong, but I would think that trebles would be more likely to snag on something. It's basically a tiny grappling hook, after all. I'd rather loose a fish than loose my last hook, there are more of the former than the latter.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#60729 - 02/19/06 08:07 PM Re: Survival Fishing Question
duckear Offline
Addict

The versatility of a single hook is more important than any advantage of a treble hook using live bait. Treble hooks are specialty hooks.

Tru-Turns seem to work well for me. And the .mil supposedly uses them in their kits as well.

A selection of small single hooks take up less space than two or three treble hooks.

Tru Turn hooks

I would go with the Aberdeen style hooks in smaller sizes for freshwater use. Add some bigger stuff and steel leaders for saltwater critters.

Edited by duckear (02/19/06 08:09 PM)

#60730 - 02/20/06 04:23 AM Re: Survival Fishing Question
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Tru-Turns seem to work well for me. And the .mil supposedly uses them in their kits as well.

That is great info!

Thanks!

#60731 - 02/20/06 03:01 PM Re: Survival Fishing Question
JaxMichael Offline

Loc: Florida
First, go with the gill net already mentioned, and as for hooks, stick with the single hooks for the reasons others have mentioned.

In addition, if you’re buying bare hooks, consider including some circle hooks. With regular hooks you must “set” the hook, which requires practice. With circle hooks, the fish sets the hook for you (I’m guessing circle hooks are much easier for someone hand-lining, as might be the case in a survival scenario). In the interests of full disclosure, there is some disagreement about the benefits of circle hooks. I recommend them in the ETS context because I think they’re easier for non-fishermen to use, plus there are fewer snags and thus fewer lost hooks, at a time when you can't afford to lose hooks. Experienced fishermen don't like them as much because it is so hard to break the habit of setting the hook, a habit that will cost you the fish on a circle hook.

Lastly, bend down the barbs with a pair of pliers. Again, there’s some disagreement about this practice, but a fish that might be lost due to a bent-down barb just means you have to keep on fishing. A barbed hook stuck in your own flesh when you’re trying to survive is a show-stopper and can be a genuine medical emergency. A single barbed hook stuck in you is bad enough; imagine being caught on a barbed treble. Here’s a sample pro-barb-bending article. This article doesn’t address the safety issue, which is the main reason I’m a barb bender.

#60732 - 03/17/06 07:56 PM Re: Survival Fishing Question
Mark_G Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Stafford, VA
I fish quite a lot and I would take a small #6-#10 single hook, over the treble Everyday ending in Y. It simply a matter of being able to hide the hook IN the bait. This provides a much higher strike/catch ratio, especially on smaller fish.

#60733 - 03/18/06 08:19 PM Re: Survival Fishing Question
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
your absolutly right, maybe the price...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
05/31/24 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.