Tom , Kodiak Airstation was my first duty station. I was married in the Orthodox church run by the monks of Saint Hermans! Have you made it over to Wood(ie) Island just off the harbor? On the seaward side is a natural arch with a few spruce trees growing on top and a giant, half buried russian fishing net float to the side. Barring erosion, the initials "CK& HD " are still on it . I had the SRK. It is a great knife excepting that lousy powdercoat. The current hard shell sheath takes paracord well and you can slip a small flat diamond hone inside. People have really abused them, and report some failure in the handle material. The Falknivens are very similar, excepting the Moran edge ( which I cannot maintain) and a small extension of the tang for a hammer. The whole Becker line is interesting. I've put my fingerprints on a few but little else. The K-BAR / Marine knife is a classic in it's own right. The blood groove is not to prevent suction from preventing withdrawal. That's barracks mythology and cannot happen. Actually, the forging of a groove is an ancient method of compressing the structure for greater strength in softer or more open grained metals. I think we have to do that BIG KNIFE review Doug mentioned in his article.