Actually, there are some BSA requirements - wisely so, I think - for persons with advanced training to accompany activities that take Crews/Scouts farther away from emergency responders, just as there are requirements for some advanced capabilities for activities with "higher risks" - for example, climbing. No need to go into details here - Willie, if you would like to contact me via email sometime, I can pass on what I know regarding those kinds of requirements and then - if you like - we can discuss those particulars here.<br><br>If you're taking a Boundary waters trip through the Charles Sommers Canoe Base, you're going to be covered by the staff and the resources the base has, even in remote areas. If your Troop is doing it on thier own or via some other outfitter, you may or may not be required to add some trained capability to your adult leadership on the trip - particulars of the trip will dictate that. A peak-bagging trip into a remote wilderness area may or may not require similar capabilities, again depending on how "far" away (time-wise) are the emergency responders. The requirements seem to be based on good sense.<br><br>Hope this helps.<br><br>Scouter Tom