An experience yesterday reopened my eyes to field care. We located a lost mare in the Sespe ( wilderness area and home to the Condor recovery program.) She had suffered a massive facial wound with copious bleeding and associated dehydration. First Aid consisted of quickly staunching blood flow with my filthy silk bandanna and a crude rehydration via my 21/2 gallon G.I. canteen and tubing into the anal cavity. We then "ponied" the mare to a designated campground where a DVM met us via cellphone ( this time we had one!) The horse was "jugged" ( given IV fluids) ,mildly sedated for pain and transported ASAP. Only then did the actual wound get examined. We found puncture wounds from a mountain lion had damaged the nasal process and eye orbit. Most animal owners see a tissue wound and slop quarts of ointments on the wound, call the DVM and then watch him/her slowly, often painfully have to remove it all, again after often having to deal with other life threatening issues. I relearned the basics; keep it simple and get to qualified help ASAP.