Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58724 - 01/20/06 04:37 AM Which is a better watch???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wife is deploying to Afghanistan.

She wants a multi purpose watch.

She like Sunnto Vector or the Timex Expedition

Adventure Tech Watch.

Which one is better?????

Thanks!!!

#58725 - 01/20/06 05:27 AM Re: Which is a better watch???
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Hehe... that's a loaded question! The Suunto's I've looked at are all high quality. My Timex Expedition is sitting with my other watches, but I like it okay. The one I had with digital compass was difficult to calibrate and seemed to need resetting now and then, so I took it back for a different model. And there are a lot of different Timex Expeditions, so saying you want a vector and not saying what model of Timex makes this difficult.

Why not state the features you want and if a man's watch is okay. Since she's in the Military, this probably isn't a big deal. The Suunto's have the added advantage of sporting GPS on the higher end models. Could be useful for extraction, waypoint travels, etc assuming other gear is lost/damaged/drained. I personally like the khaki model of Suunto for the contrast. Also, the Suunto's have a low-battery warning on the models I've seen. Since they both have the same electroluminescent backlighting, it's down to build quality and features like altimeter, barometer, electronic compass, temperature, gps, and waypoint/logbook tracking. And I think you'll find the Suunto has more options (even if they are pricey). Shock absorption may be important as well.

#58726 - 01/20/06 06:03 AM Re: Which is a better watch???
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Had a Timex Expedition series watch probably 5 or 6 years ago. I wasn't that impressed with its durability. It broke on a camping trip in Death Valley. The only other Timex I've had was an Ironman series. After replacing the battery the LCD digits got messed up. Both found their way into the trash can.

Lately I've been using a Casio G-Shock. Definitely built to take more punishment than a Timex. You can get a basic G-Shock for about $60+. They've even got solar-powered models if you want to get really fancy.

#58727 - 01/20/06 02:02 PM Re: Which is a better watch???
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, I've been wearing the same Casio calc watch now for nearly 3 years without replacing the battery, in all kinds of conditions. For a $14 watch, it ain't bad.

#58728 - 01/22/06 07:07 AM Re: Which is a better watch???
Dreadnought Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
It's not one on your list but I had lots of watches and I really like my latest one. It's a luminox, has a sapphire crystal, 10 year lithium battery and cool tritium vials.

Regards,
Dreadnought

#58729 - 01/22/06 07:10 AM Re: Which is a better watch???
Dreadnought Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
sorry....I re-read your post and I see your wife wanted a multi-purpose watch....in that case I would also recommend a G-Shock.

#58730 - 01/22/06 03:04 PM Re: Which is a better watch???
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Man get her a gshock... PX carries only few variations of gshock. But you can buy it in many different shape and sizes on the web so she will have one of the kind watch. They are strong, multi function, durable and nice looking. With their illumination they can be read in the dark easily.

If she doesn't need a multifunction go with Luminox.

Drop the sunnto line. Too complicated to use with short battery life.

#58731 - 01/22/06 08:37 PM Re: Which is a better watch???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 2 casio pathfinders-they both have temp/compass/baro/atli functions-i have found them to be fairly accurate,............overall nice watches
-suunto is nice...........agree with the battery life comment( i have heard about battery life issues in the past, but with the newer models i havent heard this any more)

-my newest casio is the high end one .....same functions noted above but it has a solar battery-really nice-going on 2 years fairly regular use, and now battery issues noted.
-casio g shock are great.....i did have some battery issues in the past........occasionally i found that they dont last quite a year...............but for christmas i got a g shock that has solar battery-i'm looking forward to seeing if does as well as my casio pathfinder
-of course all the watches i mentioned are for us gadget heads.............but if you like something more than just "time"
suunto and casio gshock-and-pathfinder series are my top picks!
-lastlly i have went throught a few timex expeditions.............i basically found them to be just a regular watch with a "outdoorsy" name................they work fine, but are basically just a nice plain watch!

#58732 - 01/22/06 11:01 PM Re: Which is a better watch???
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I have the Casio Sea-pathfinder, which is solar powered and has the compass. I find any watch with a compass is physically a bit large. This one seems to be accurate with a few degrees, but I have to be careful how it is tilted. It's safest to take it off my wrist before taking a reading.

#58733 - 01/23/06 06:15 PM Re: Which is a better watch???
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
The G-Shock is a great bang-for-the-buck watch. My biggest problem with it is the oversize dimensions. It's a bit like a hocky puck on a wrist strap. That's fine if you are built like a linebacker, but most women (being of smaller stature) might find the G-shocks a bit too much arm jewelry. Recently I passed by a watch display in a store and is does look like Casio does make one version of the G-shock that is more moderate in size. Unless your wife is built for the NFL, this might be a better option.

I'm not too impressed with the Timex expedition watch. I bought one for my son and the back lighting went to crap with little abuse.

Good luck, TR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 692 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.