Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58297 - 01/16/06 03:39 AM Baby specific FAK
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I thought I had collected and compiled all the things that people list in their FAK (along with all the PSK, BOB, whatever lists) but my wife has a checklist saying we need a baby specific First Aid Kit. What would go in a FAK for baby that wouldn't normally be in a FAK? I can think of plenty of items that are in a FAK that shouldn't be used on a baby but can't think of anything the other way round. I'm sure there are others that have been through this before, anyone have some lists?

#58298 - 01/16/06 03:47 AM Re: Baby specific FAK
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
How old is the baby?

#58299 - 01/16/06 04:29 AM Re: Baby specific FAK
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
For the FAK:

* Any prescription meds currently in use.
* Medicine dropper or oral syringe
* Thermometer
* Baby acetaminophen or ibuprofen
* Cleansing cloths that don’t require water.
* Antibiotic ointment
* Sterile bandages
* Sunscreen & lip protection (SPF 15 - get Dr’s advice on use for babies under 6 mos.)
* Tweezers
* Insect repellent (Deet 5-10%, not the adult strength)
* Calamine lotion for skin irritation
* Cold packs (the kind you squeeze to start chilling)
* Pedialyte for dehydration
* Janet Zand's Parent's Guide to Medical Emergencies.
* Emergency sheet with all meds & conditions, names & contacts for info

The following wouldn't normally be called a FAK, but it would be best to have them with you:

* Clothes for all weather, including sun hat & warm cap
* Materials to provide warmth and shade
* Vinyl stick-on sunshades for car windows
* For altitude changes, keep a bottle or pacifier handy
* Ready-to-use formula that the baby can tolerate (even if breastfeeding -- problems arise)
* Bibs w/plastic coating for quick re-use
* At least one extra set of clothes
* Handful of toys (something new is good, too)
* Lightweight folding stroller
* Baby backpack or front sling

Sue

#58300 - 01/16/06 04:53 PM Re: Baby specific FAK
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
I'd add some childrens benedryl. And some childens sting relief.

Also it can be quite confusing as your children grow to keep track of the dosage for the diferent meds. A cheat sheet kept w/ the meds is a good idea.

Adam

#58301 - 01/16/06 05:12 PM Re: Baby specific FAK
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
That's a nice list Sue... I'd add the creamy version of Desitin and allergen free lotion to the FAK... those rashes can be nasty.

And I'd toss some diapers and a changing pad (towel or other multiple use item could do in a pinch) into the add-on stuff.

I'd recommend a mosquito net instead of DEET, but if using it, make sure to keep away from the hands and use it on clothes instead of skin as much as possible. They do make some wipe-on pads for space concerns, too.

#58302 - 01/16/06 06:00 PM Re: Baby specific FAK
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Baby aspirin can serve a dual purpose, as it is the correct dose an adult can take if they are having a possible heart attack. The chewable kind gets into the syatem faster.

#58303 - 01/17/06 12:58 AM Re: Baby specific FAK
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Depending upon the age of the baby/child, I would include a BVM (bag-valve mask) of the appropriate size, and training on how to use it for emergency ventilation.

#58304 - 01/17/06 01:38 AM Re: Baby specific FAK
hillbilly Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast Arkansas (Central Ar...
nose syringe to clean out mucus. Also good if baby gets something stuck in nose, i.e. peas, etc.

#58305 - 01/17/06 06:27 PM Re: Baby specific FAK
Kuovonne Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, TX
Here's the baby first aid stuff that I've had in our diaper bag:
- benedryl (originally had liquid type, then switched to chewables)
- dosage syringe / spoon for liquid benedryl
- stingez or afterbite (good for me too)
- bandaids (good for toddler moral in case of minor scrapes)
- sun screen (good for grown ups too)
- hand sanitizer (good for grown ups too)

For what it's worth, I think that comfort items for a baby are also important, in addition to the meds already listed by other people. So, toys, stuffed animals, "loveys", pacifiers, food (formula or snacks), blankets, etc are worth considering. Extra clothes, extra diapers, diaper rash cream, plastic bags, and lots of wipes are a given.

For an older baby or toddler that takes more than just breastmilk or formula, I find that food and drink are really important, since they need to eat more frequently than grown-ups, and their eating & drinking abilities are limited. You can find a drinking fountain or a restaurant, but that doesn't help baby. A spare sippy cup or straw will make it easier (and cleaner) for you to give your older baby a drink. If your baby eats from a spoon, a few spare plastic spoons are good to have on hand too.

If your baby is on formula, you can get these "tubes" of formula that you just add water to. They are fairly convenient to use; they store longer than repackaged formula, and they take less space than ready to use formula.

DH has suggested that I also carry a sharpie marker so that I can write on baby (e.g. name, phone number, etc.) in case we have to be separated. I haven't gone so far as that, but if I find some cheap ID bracelets that I like, I'll start carrying them.

Also, is this a FAK for a diaper bag that goes with you, or for what you stock in the home? There are a lot of baby first aid stuff that I have at home, but don't bother carrying around with me. I figure that I'll carry whatever would need to be used / administered immediately or could allow me to not need to go home yet. So, for example, I don't carry a thermometer because I figure that if my daughter is suddenly sick enough that I need to take her temperature, we need to go home anyway, and the actual temperature taking can wait until we get home.

Also, depending on the age of the baby, re-check your supplies frequently. As the baby grows & gains weight, dosages will change. Diaper sizes and size of clothes can also change quickly.

A hands-free baby sling is also very nice to have. It isn't a first aid item, but I would definately put one in whatever bug-out-bag goes with baby. There are some that fold up very small and take hardly any space; however, you need to practice with them before hand. There are also some that aren't completely hands-free, but in an emergency situation, it would be much nicer to have use of both of your arms & hands.

One last note of advice: you need to know how to properly install your baby's car seat by yourself, even if you had a technician install the car seat for you. After our car accident, we had to put the car seat in the tow truck to get the baby home. The tow truck driver was about to install the car seat incorrectly, when I stopped him and installed it correctly. Similarly, if you can afford it; it's a good idea to have a spare car seat that you keep in a second car or at home. That way if you are in an accident, you have a spare car seat that you can use right away, since you aren't supposed to use a car seat once it's been in a wreck. After we got home, we ended up borrowing a car seat from a neighbor to take the baby to the doctor.

-Kuovonne

#58306 - 01/17/06 07:13 PM Re: Baby specific FAK
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Personally, I would skip a BVM and learn basic adult, child and infant CPR. A BVM without O2 is not any better then rescue breathing and in fact is often less efficient unless you train and practice. A BVM is often a two-person job, unless you have large hands and can position and maintain a proper seal. Since this is for your own child, infection control should be of little concern and therefore would recommend against keeping a BVM in your kit.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 260 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.