Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#56902 - 12/27/05 09:25 PM What Works Best with a Fire Starter Flint?
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I was out shopping for a few things and came across a Coghlan's plastic match safe (in bright orange). It states that it is watertight, so I bought one for matches. When I get it home, I discover that it has a small "fire starter flint" on the bottom. OK, a good backup. But what produces the most sparks from the "flint"? Maybe an old hacksaw blade? Knife? Ideally, I would like something that I could fit into the match safe, and still have room for matches (and a sealed striker). Anyone with some experience in this area?

My guess is that this one just became my "practice" unit, and I will need to buy another for my "off pavement" kit.

Thanks for any assistance.

#56903 - 12/27/05 10:55 PM Re: What Works Best with a Fire Starter Flint?
SgtMike88Ret Offline
Journeyman

A piece of hacksaw blade or a jigsaw blade will do fine. Don't count on the ferro rod to last long, however. They're miniscule and flimsily attached....

M

#56904 - 12/28/05 12:28 AM Re: What Works Best with a Fire Starter Flint?
Grits Offline
Master Burger Flipper

Loc: Western North Carolina
Any steel will work. Back of lock back knife blade, hacksaw, file ect. Matches have their use. You have to be ready with tender and fire materail. They do not work well in wet enviroments. I have found using one of the magneisum scrape bars with the flint rod on back works well when used with the military canteen fuel bar. The mag bar/flint will start a fire on the fuel tab and this will give you the long flame that you need to get a fire going in less than ideal situations.

#56905 - 12/28/05 05:04 PM Re: What Works Best with a Fire Starter Flint?
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I don't know that particular unit, but I like to use hacksaw blades snapped off to fit my container. That's because they are dual use - I like having a blade that can cut metal. In a pinch, any reasonably hard and sharp steel will do. Often the back of a blade will work.

Not always, though. The shape does make a difference - eg most of the edges of my Prybaby are rounded and won't work, but the "V" section will.

#56906 - 12/28/05 05:27 PM Re: What Works Best with a Fire Starter Flint?
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Important note: do not use the cutting edge of your knife to strike the rod. You will leave a nice big nick in the edge if you do. Hacksaw blades are a standard, piece of steel fish tape or small steel flat springs are mighty fine and about as small as you can handle.

#56907 - 01/03/06 08:30 PM Re: What Works Best with a Fire Starter Flint?
hillbilly Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast Arkansas (Central Ar...

i picked one up at surplus store that had rough texture on flint. I can strike storm matches on it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 416 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.