Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#55837 - 12/11/05 08:44 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
wildcard163 Offline

Loc: Illinois
I've never had a complaint with it, and originally bought it because after doing a lot of looking around, it was the most robust one I had found. Another thing I like is the fact that I can keep it going in the field. The MSR (at least when I got mine) was one of the few that had a cleanable (in the field) filter, and parts kits available. When I got mine (1998), I got an extra filter (ceramic) and two spare parts kits, and haven't needed to buy any replacements yet. As far as my experiences with other filters, I've had various filter bottles that I've carried for daily use of tap/fountain water, and while most any of them are fine for supposedly "safe" water, none of them would begin to stand up to my MSR.

Troy

#55838 - 12/11/05 08:48 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Quote:
I didn't see any mention of chemicals, only a filter. Does it require chemicals as well?

It depends on the level of protection you're seeking; following filtration with certain chemical treatments gets more "bad stuff" than filtration alone.

It's important to understand the differences in effectiveness between chemical-only, filter-only, purifier-only, or some combination of mechanical-and-chemical; and now, as Brangdon mentioned, ultraviolet purifiers like the AquaStar (or the SteriPEN).

Once you're familiar with the results each process will yield, then you have to decide what level of protection you're comfortable with. Want to avoid exposure to waterborne viruses? Then filter-only treatment is not for you. If usage will mostly be in remote backcountry, maybe you'd be comfortable with filter-only. Conversely, if expected usage will be nearer urban areas, I'd personally want my drinking water purified, and not merely filtered.

Again, for a thorough discussion of water treatment processes/equipment, I recommend the REI article.

#55839 - 12/11/05 08:50 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
wildcard163 Offline

Loc: Illinois
The ceramic filter (same medium as the Berkey) is part of the reason that I like my MSR so much, and it's scrubbable too...though Katadyne is a close second IMO.

Troy

#55840 - 12/11/05 11:28 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an old Katadyn Pocket which has been great, and 3 weeks ago I got a Katadyn Mini.
The Pocket is quite a few years old and it has never had a replacement cartridge and is still going strong. Katadyn put a very abrasive cleaner with it, (I think they want to sell more cartridges) but it has never been used. A higher grit bit of sand paper is much better and smaller to pack. The ceramic cartridge is impregnated with silver to aid with killing any nasties and it think its down to .2 micron filtering. (going from memory so I may be wrong)
I wanted a smaller filter to pack, and I found a local who was selling the Mini, so I bought that from him. It uses the same type of ceramic filter as the Pocket only smaller. It also takes more strokes to get the same amount of water, but it is half the size of the Pocket. Unfortunatly the previous owner use the cleaner that came with it, but it still has plenty of life left.
I highly recomend either of these. They also do a filter called a Combi which is midway between these 2 in cost and size. It has a carbon filter cartridge as well as the ceramic cartridge. I didnt see the need for this though.
The Katadyn Pocket was the best filter I could find at the time, and I havent found any I would replace it with apart from the Mini. The Katadyn Mini is the filter I should have bought the first time, because its just as good as the pocket but smaller and cheaper.
If you are filtering for 1to 3 people, the Mini is great. For more than 3 look for the Pocket.

#55841 - 12/12/05 12:04 AM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
I have an MSR Sweetwater, which replaced an old sweetwater. Great system, great value. Used at least once a year for a week long trip, never had any drama. However, I do recomend chemical treatment along with filtration.

#55842 - 12/12/05 01:47 AM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I have a Katadyn Pocket Filter to get rid of bacteria and protozoa and to compliment it I have a Katadyn activated carbon pre filter that fits in the outlet hose of the KP to get rid of a lot of the chemicals and bad tastes. I really like the combination and it has worked extremely well thus far and surpassed my expectations.

The Katadyn Pocket may seem exorbitant, especially where replacement ceramic filters are concerned, but its lifespan is extremely long in comparison to a lot of other filters.

You can get the Katadyn Pocket for $159.99 from Amazon (Free Shipping). Right now Amazon also has a deal on replacement ceramic cartridges as well ($79.99).

I am also thinking about buying a SteriPen. Does anyone have any experience with these?

#55843 - 12/12/05 04:36 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
It looks like this would be better used with chemical treatment, but it is compact and if memory serves the retail on it is only about $3 US. I haven't read the specs on filters on purifiers enough to know how it compares, but I thought I'd throw this out as an option. It's called Lifestraw

Note: I have no association with the folks that make or sell this product...just saw in Time magazine a few weeks back.

#55844 - 12/12/05 04:39 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

have you already read this stuff: http://www.equipped.org/watrfood.htm#WaterFilters ? Bit outdated but still very good info.

#55845 - 12/12/05 04:58 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Is your concern for biological and/or chemical contaminants?

There are many products out there, which address one or both concerns. Costs, ease of use/maintenance, portability are just a few of the variables, one should consider when selecting a water filter/purifier.

If you examine your anticipated needs/parameters, perhaps we could focus in on units that will fulfill your needs.

Pete

#55846 - 12/12/05 06:36 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Check out these threads:

Steri Pen 1
Steri Pen 2
Steri Pen 3

Pete

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 524 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.