Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#55827 - 12/11/05 05:06 PM Water purifiers... any suggestions?
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I have the water purifying tablets. however I was kind of toying with one of the hiking style pump purifiers. The table is open and I am all ears (eyes).

#55828 - 12/11/05 06:49 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Sorry about the short question folks, I was needed. I have been toying with the idea of " are the hand pump style backpacking water purifiers worth the money". I carry in my BOB water purifier tablets and they are fine. But, I also heard that there is no aftertaste with the mechanical type. Are they worth it or is it good marketing?

#55829 - 12/11/05 06:49 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
They’re not as sleek-looking as other manufacturer’s filters, but I’ve owned two versions of the First Need portable purifier over the past 20+ years, and they’ve served me well. Remember there’s a distinct difference between a filter and a purifier; personal preference, usage environment and acquisition/filter costs will influence which you choose.

A little marketing hype from their web site: “First Need portable purifier continues to be the only chemical-free portable system independently certified to meet EPA Microbiological Guide Standard for removal of bacteria, cysts and virus - all without chemicals, hold time or double pumping.”

It’s not as well-suited as other smaller units for backpacking due to its somewhat larger bulk and weight (15 oz. total weight), but I like not having to use chemicals and avoiding the associated wait time.

Among filters, the Katadyn Hiker (made/marketed by PUR Outdoor until acquired by Katadyn in 2001) has always gotten high marks; I haven’t personally used one. Speaking of Katadyn, their Pocket Filter is a well-regarded classic, albeit pricey at around $200. But, in fairness, they claim its ceramic cartridge will filter ~13,000 gallons under average conditions vs. 200 gallons for a Hiker cartridge, and 125 gallons for a First Need cartridge. Under heavy usage conditions, the Pocket Filter makes more economical sense.

You might find this water filter GearFinder on Backpacker Magazine website a useful research tool.

Edit: I might have to recant on accuracy of the GearFinder. Tried it, specifying virus removal as a requirement, yet it listed several filters. The basic distinction between filters and purifiers is that filters don't remove viruses (unless chemicals are used after filtering). REI has a decent article on their website: How to Choose a Water Filter or Purifier.

Edited by xbanker (12/11/05 07:20 PM)

#55830 - 12/11/05 07:17 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I've heard nothing but good things about the Katadyn Hiker filter, but my cousin is in India right now and the only water purifier she brought with her is something called Pristine, recommended by her doctor and travelling agency. FWIW.

#55831 - 12/11/05 07:24 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

I looked at that Katadyn for camping / hiking (don't remember the model) and that seems like it was about what I had in mind. I didn't see any mention of chemicals, only a filter. Does it require chemicals as well?

#55832 - 12/11/05 07:33 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

I just looked up the Pristine and it was drops (maybe chlorine or iodine). Which I am not apposed to, I guess I have been softened by society and was looking for a filter as well. Get all the bugs out so I don't have a sequel to the movie ALIEN on my home movies.

I guess what I want is for a water biologist to accompany me on my trips / bug outs and make sure that I won't get sick. Or something like that. Like I said, I am open to ALL suggestions on this matter as I have so little experience with water filters.

#55833 - 12/11/05 07:36 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
wildcard163 Offline

Loc: Illinois
After reading the previous posts, here's my two cents.
I have both the "Polar Pure" iodine treatment, and the "MSR Water Works" filter. In real world practice, if it comes out of a tap, or other trusted source, it goes through the filter. If it's standing, or flowing, or whatever, e.g. unknown source, it gets chem. treatment, then run through the filter. Some might call this over-kill, but where my health is concerned, I figure I can't be too safe. Treating the water, then filtering it takes more time than filtering alone, but saving one case of the trots is well worth it.

Troy

#55834 - 12/11/05 07:45 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I bought a First Need but I've never had occassion to use it so I don't know if they're actually good.

Since then I've come across the ultra-violet purifiers, eg AquaStar which look tempting. No filters to clog, no chemicals to run out, just CR-123 batteries to carry - which I need anyway because of my Surefire addiction.

#55835 - 12/11/05 08:26 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

How do you like the MSR and do you have any esperience with another brand? The reason I am asking is I (by nature) am "frugal" "cheap" and a few other adjectives that may fit; I only want to by one GOOD one that will last me for years. I hear the salesman trying to get his commission, but I would like to hear as much as I can from trusted sources.

EPI

#55836 - 12/11/05 08:31 PM Re: Water purifiers... any suggestions?
NIM Offline

Katadyne Pocket is the way to go if you want a filter that won't fail on you.

It's used by Doctors Without Borders, The Red Cross and numerous military groups. It DOES not filter out chemical nasties but then again neither do most filters. The charcoal they contain filters out some impurities and taste but will not filter out nitrates, fluoride or most industrial contaminants. Even if you could find one that does (like the British Berkey) it isn't backpackable and the elements run out in 6 months or so (sooner if the water is highly contaminated).

Note: If you purchase the Katadyne pocket throw out the abrasive pad that comes with it and use something FAR less abrasive for longer filter life. You can even use a piece of cloth if the filter is still wet.

I got stuck for 2 months in the wilderness and it functioned perfectly for the duration. I'd bet my life on it again.

-Nim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 524 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.