Having been a sheriff's deputy, Firefighter / EMT and a nurse, I feel that I am uniquely qualified to say that should one ever get put into that position, we will all gravitate toward what we as individuals have learned. For example: Cops will grab their guns and make sure that (whatever region they claim) is safe. Firefighters will make sure that people are out of immediate danger. Fishermen will make sure they will be able to get out and catch fish for food.

However, when we are taken out of that area that we can control, we seem to get that lost - confused sence of inability to do anything. I read that article and the thought that I take away is that he is in a constant state of mistrust (not necessarily bad). This constant state seems to be clouding better judgement. Until the end of the account, when he FINALLY got out of there, did he seem to calm down.

Personally, one of the first items of business on my agenda is to get out - get safe - get functional - then go back and tend to what needs done. Every emergency person out there knows that you can't do any good if you are hurt or unable to perform you duty. Stuff is expensive at times (house, big screen tv, nikes) but if it boils down to it - stuff is just that - stuff and it can be replaced. Life is not and it can't be replaced (at least not with the same model). Just my thought on this. EPI