<quote>I'm pretty sure Ralph would have been driving around even if he didn't need gas. I'd probably be more like Ralph. My mind constantly planning, with the vehicular excursions used to release tension.</quote>

TR,

I think you're on to something about releasing nervous energy in a crisis. I always had the image of myself being "so cool" during a crisis until the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake. I was downright flaky right after the quake. I'm embarrased to say I actually wiped up some broken glass of a table with my bare hand. Luckily the cut wasn't deep, but I had to deal with my neighbors asking why I had a bandage wrapped around my hand. So much for looking cool ;-). I can laugh about it now, but for weeks afterwards, I would jump every time I felt a minor jolt, like someone accidently kicking the breakfast table ;-).

I came away from the experience feeling a bit more humble. I think it's not a bad idea to expect to make a few bad decisions after sudden and unexpected stress (like a big earthquake). You can argue that Ralph had lots of time to psychologically prepare for the stress, but that's easier said than done.

I've never been in battle, but my guess is that one of the reasons for all the training to (partially) prepare for the sudden stress of combat. Something to consider in your ETS preparation.

Lynn