Malpaso,

I hadn't read the article before posting. My thoughts were just meant to be generic. Not any sort of dig at your comments.

I found it interesting to see how the two main characters coped with the crisis. Matthew wanted luxury and used up "busy energy" wanting to paint the warehouse floor. Ralph was in constant preparedness mode. I'm pretty sure Ralph would have been driving around even if he didn't need gas. I'd probably be more like Ralph. My mind constantly planning, with the vehicular excursions used to release tension.

I think the great folly here is to be so dependent on a gasoline powered generator. For most folks these should be used as a short term, stop gap, when the power goes out. For longer term use, the gasoline storage is potentially dangerous, plus the problems you may have with your insurance man if he gets wind of your stash of gas. The risk driving so many miles and hours looking for gas is foolish. Too many things to go wrong, not to mention you are away from your home. I’d also worry about a loud generator being an unintended audible advertisement that you are prepared. Too easy to become a unfortunate target. (Much like some of the New Orleans folks that put black plastic over their windows to keep inside lighting from attracting the wrong element (be it law enforcement or looter).

If you really need a generator, (like these guys with the lab) get one properly setup with propane tanks of sufficient size. Get your permits and do it safe and right. For the rest of us, don’t let your survival plan hinge on a generator. I plan on running mine for limited time periods only, to keep the frozen food edible till I can consume the contents in our deep freezer. After that the generator gets turned off. If the gas runs out, too bad. Some flashlights and canned food will get the rest of the job done.

TR