For a long term member of this board, it's an iffy. I got it over the summer, and the biggest thing I got from it was a different perspective on the making of kits. For example, I don't think I remember him mentioning the Sparklite, but mentioned items I hadn't seen and ideasI hadn't had. I never would have started one of my current projects if I hadn't seen his M-6-based kit, and I hadn't thought of his walking stick kit. I have a few grumbles, but that is a matter of opinion on which widgets are better.

For someone who isn't as hard core as we are, or at least doesn't want to spend days and days reading the website and months of crawling through the boards, this will be almost, if not just as good. For those who aren't sure of how to package, the book does a very good job of showing some ideas.

What it doesn't discuss is the bug-in gear most of us maintain. The lack of 72-/96-/120-hour house kits was very obvious to me, but they are covered well enough in hundred, if not thousands, of books.

If you are looking to give a gift of preparedness primers, this and the newest, paperback size of the SAS manual are a great set.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.