Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#54783 - 11/29/05 05:17 PM Doug Ritter mini-RSK MK1 or Mini-Griptilian?
Omega Offline
Journeyman

I am choosing myself an EDC knife. I would like something universal, so it should be good to carry in cities, convenient while doing something outdoors and comfortable in the kitchen (peeling vegetables, cutting etc). I am narrowing my choice and thinking which knife I should take out from my list, Doug Ritter RSK MK1 or Mini-Griptilian?
As I can see, they have the same handle, but blade steel and shape are different. I feel comfortable with steel on both knives, so it is not decisive point for me at all. However, which blade shape, in your opinion, is more universal? And why? Do you think it will outperform Victorinox blades in outdoor activities? Just a thought: I have Victorinox and used them outdoors because it was much better than Delica. So, if SAK is much better than any of these knives, then, I guess, I will not use my EDC knife outdoors at all, so I do not need to worry about its outdoor performance.
Regards,

#54784 - 11/29/05 05:37 PM Re: Doug Ritter mini-RSK MK1 or Mini-Griptilian?
JOEGREEN Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, New York
Omega,

I have the RSK 1 and prefer the drop point shape of the blade. The RSK has a much beefier blade than any Victorinox blade that I've handled. I've carried the RSK in a suburban environment, and it seems to be okay for pocket carry. That being said, I usually use my people-friendly Leatherman Squirt in the office. If size is a concern, there's always the mini-RSK. Hope that helps.

#54785 - 11/30/05 12:19 AM Re: Doug Ritter mini-RSK MK1 or Mini-Griptilian?
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

When I worked at Chesapeake Knife and Tool I learned a few things:
1. The longer you work there the more respect I had for Benchmade.
2. The people who came in extremely happy with the knife they've been carrying for years were carrying either Benchmade or Victorinox SAK.
3. The people who came in with $3000 custom folders (glorious knives!) were carrying Benchmade for EDC.

At the time I had a 1968 vintage Vic Champion SAK and a Gerber LST. I'm now carrying the Vic Deluxe Tinker SAK (has a pliers, but I miss the files) and the Mini-RSK.

I agree that the regular Mini-Grip is a great knife, but I wanted to spoil myself. The Mini-RSK design includes two things I like: the blade is flat-ground and drop point. The pocket clip does tend to wear the edges of your pocket if you're wearing cotton a lot.

#54786 - 11/30/05 01:39 AM Re: Doug Ritter mini-RSK MK1 or Mini-Griptilian?
Blane Offline

I purchased the Benchmade 555 Mini Grip before Doug came out with the ETS version. Both are equally good in my opinion. The Mini Grip is just the right size for me for an everyday carry even at the office. I find it surprizing that some of my co-workers find it intimidating when I take it out and open it up one handed.

My wife liked mine so much that I had to get her one.

#54787 - 11/30/05 05:12 PM Re: Doug Ritter mini-RSK MK1 or Mini-Griptilian?
JOEGREEN Offline
Enthusiast

"The pocket clip does tend to wear the edges of your pocket if you're wearing cotton a lot."

Hanscom,

Do what I do - pin a large safety pin horizontally inside the pocket, and hang the knife's clip from it. I'm carrying it that way right now, in dress slacks.

#54788 - 11/30/05 08:33 PM Re: Doug Ritter mini-RSK MK1 or Mini-Griptilian?
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Ooooooh ... I like that idea!!

If I wear the knife in the right pocket, with the safety pin on the inside side of the pocket (the side my palm touches when my hand is in my pocket) then it seems like I'd need to flip the clip to the other side. Or do you put the pin on the outside side of the pocket - the part that touches my knuckles?

#54789 - 12/01/05 06:23 PM Re: Doug Ritter mini-RSK MK1 or Mini-Griptilian?
JOEGREEN Offline
Enthusiast

KenK,

No, the pin is on the inside part of the pocket. The clip is still on the righthand side of the knife, so it hangs the "wrong" way - I find it more comfortable to hold the knife with the clip on the righthand side, and I live in a decent neighborhood, so no need for "tactical" deployment. It just takes a quick turn in my hand to face it the right way. YMMV.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 602 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.