Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#5471 - 04/15/02 12:26 PM PSK for lunar landscape!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi y'all - I'm a first time caller long time listener smile Actually been viewing this site for almost 4 years now but never had the "guts" to comment or well... post. So anyway my first try, here it goes: <br><br>I've been trying to put together a PSK that suits the place where I live (not the moon actually as the subject heading suggests) but for Iceland, where I live. Iceland has no forests and very few trees (ergo no wood for fires). Iceland has untainted water (ergo no need to purify drinking water). The landscape in the highlands is similar to the moon (actually American astronauts once visited Iceland to practice their space walks smile ) with black lava and sands. We have harsh weather all year long, where temperatures might fall just below freezing level in the summer time. What kills travelers in Iceland is exposion to the elements. The most dangerous conditions are rain, wind and temperatures right above zero. SO to make a LONG story short, based on that. I consider my 3 seasons survival needs to be warmth and shelter. What my PSK needs to contain is thus:<br><br>- fire making substances, for warmth and possibly to heat water for consumption<br>- a container to heat water in (not to transport since water is widely available)<br>- a compass<br>- possibly a knife to, e.g. digging out roots for consumption (maybe not necessary?)<br>- a shelter from rain and wind<br><br>There are probably many questions that arise but based on the meager description above what do you consider my needs to be? Do I need the things mentioned above? <br><br>Note: This kit is for basic emergency needs, used for e.g. day-hikes in nature and to be able to survive an overnights stay!

#5472 - 04/15/02 02:07 PM Re: PSK for lunar landscape!
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
There will be other, more experienced folks jumping in on this thread soon, buit two thoughts jumped into my mind as soon as I read your post.<br><br>1. Make sure you leave details of you plans with someone, including your ETA. I think a key to survivial under the conditions you described will be to make sure someone is going to come looking for you when you need them. <br><br>2. You must make sure you have signaling equipment with you for when the search teams do come looking. A signal mirror is a must. You may also consider a small flare gun. <br><br>Odd, at first blush, an emergency situation in your extreem environment sounds a lot like being adrift in the ocean. Plants for food and fuel are not available. Actually, very little natural resources are available for scrounging. You are almost totally relient on what you carry for survivial, with the exception of water, which is plentiful during warm months. I would guess that there's plenty of water in snow and ice during the cold months, but that would require fuel to melt. So water may be an issue during that time of year.<br><br>BTW, Depending on finances and travel conditions (you didn;t mention if you're camping, hiking, flying. driving, etc.), The link to Dr Keith Conover's site Beachdoc recently provided, had a report on a portable heating device fueled by charcol blocks, HeatPac Charcoal Vest. This may be an item to consider for your car or plane.

#5473 - 04/15/02 03:18 PM Re: PSK for lunar landscape!
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Circum-polar world has quite a few natural resources that can be used in survival situations. Contrary to popular belief there is lots of wood available. The Gulf Stream is diverted by the Labrador current south of Newfoundland. The current then heads across the Atlantic and flows all the way up to Iceland via the west coast of Europe. Along the way it picks up drift wood and deposits it on the shores of Norway, Greenland and Iceland. Willow bushes grow in profusion in all circum-polar regions. Really large ones, up to 10 feet high grow in sheltered areas with lots of sunlight. Due to erosion in summer the roots of these plants become exposed and the plant dies. The roots and plant itself dries out and is an excellent source of firewood. I have a collapsable sterno stove ( 1 lb.) that I have used quite a few times with willow wood when other fuels have run out. You can boil a quart of water in about eight minutes.<br><br>I travel a lot in the arctic. Most of the skills and resources I use in survival situations have been acquired fron the indigenous Inuit or Eskimoes who have lived in the high Arctic for several thousand years. The number one rule is always carry a good knife. Preferably one big enough to cut snow blocks if you have to make a shelter in the snow. It is very good for getting willow fuel. The second rule is bring a tarp. It can be used as a shelter. Third rule is know how to recognize the stages of hypothermia. As one of my American instructors said " It is a quiet killer. It must be recognized and treated quickly because most of the time the individual it attacks is totally unaware that its happening and can die in the company of other people without them knowing whats happening."<br><br>As the situation you seem most concerned about is hypothermia I would suggest you pack a few emergency survival bags ( 3-9 ozs each). A good 3 seasons tent ( 3-5 lbs each) with extra rope as the soil probably is not good enough to anchor the tent, you will need to anchor it using big rocks. One but preferrably 2 - 10x12 orange nylon tarps 1-2 lbs. These will serve you well if you have to camp on snow and the other one should be used as a distress signal. My experience with CASARA proves that a 10x12 orange tarp spread out on the ground, particularly on white or dark backgrounds can be seen from great distances in the air. A few large orange garbage bags are also useful as make shift rain protection and windsocks for your evac chopper.<br><br>Hope this helps a little.<br><br>Robert.l <br><br>PS Forgive the disjointed language. I got a plane to catch 5 minutes ago.<br><br>

#5474 - 04/15/02 05:22 PM Re: PSK for lunar landscape!
schaz Offline

Loc: California
Moss<br><br> My father was stationed in Iceland during WWII, he always talked about how lovely your country is.<br><br> There is an interesting web site, that is sometimes mentioned here, www.therangerdigest.com that mentions a method of wrapping one's self up in a poncho or tarp, with a lit candle inside for emergency warmth. Click on the "Frostbite Kit" button to see the article.<br><br> It looks to me that if one isn't careful, he will burn his legs with the flame, but what do I know.<br><br> Be safe<br><br> Seth

#5475 - 04/15/02 06:26 PM Re: PSK for lunar landscape!
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is little to add to the earlier replies. Since exposure to extreme cold is your primary concern, you should consider packing sufficient food rations to heat your "internal oven" and at least one complete change of clothing. If fuel is scarce in some locals you should also pack some long burning candles .

#5476 - 04/15/02 09:01 PM Re: PSK for lunar landscape!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks you guys for the helpful tips! <br>I know I wasn't specific about the kind of trip I am going to take, but that was intentional. You seem to agree with me in many ways. A tarp/plastic bag and a stove/candle lantern of some kind would be a necessity. A large puukko would help if there is any kindling. Since most of Iceland's coast is inhabited a survival situation is more likely to occur inland, where driftwood is non existent smile A knife of some sorts is a must. I don't leave the house without one!<br>Yes - some energy - didn't actually think of that. I know many people that don't even go out the door without a candybar or an energy bar in their pockets. Extra layers of clothes, and yes, balaclava is also a must for all seasons here. <br><br>Thanks again for your tips! I'm compiling stuff already for my trip. Now I just got to figure out what to put in my mini kit.............

#5477 - 04/15/02 09:41 PM Re: PSK for lunar landscape!
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You have your Puukko-luekko. Now include the other traditional Inuit survival essential; a sewing kit for tarp and clothing in your PSK.

#5478 - 04/16/02 04:15 AM Re: PSK for lunar landscape!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jujanamik. A sewing kit is essential.<br><br>Robert.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.