Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#54702 - 11/29/05 02:42 AM is the inova microlight anygood
Anonymous
Unregistered

i was wonderin what yall thought of the inova microlight and how it compares to the photon

#54703 - 11/29/05 05:03 AM Re: is the inova microlight anygood
paulr Offline
Addict

It's a nice light, one of the nicer but larger of those coin lights. If you mean the Photon II, well, hmm, the Inova is a bit better technically but I like the Photon's smaller size and better looks. If you mean the (e.g.) Photon Freedom then it's a much more subjective question, do you want something simple or do you want a computerized light with a lot of features.

All those lights are in the $10 and up range. There are similar lights you can get that are 95% as good for $1.00 or less (example example example). So I don't bother with the expensive ones any more, I buy the cheap ones in 20 or 50 packs and hand them out like candy. They work fine. I even sometimes scrounge the batteries from them to run other lights.

#54704 - 11/29/05 05:16 AM Re: is the inova microlight anygood
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I've had a couple of the Inovas and I like them. They are bright. I've never had a photon, however, so I can't compare to that.

Bona Na Croin

#54705 - 11/29/05 05:37 PM Re: is the inova microlight anygood
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
While in Target few weeks ago to pickup the River Rock 4xAA LED lantern, picked up a half-dozen of the Inova Micros for Xmas stocking stuffers. Good price at $6-and-some-change, and they had a variety of LED colors besides white. Of course, got a couple for myself.

They are slightly larger than the Photon. Light output seems comparable. Don't know about battery life; presume comparable. Didn't care much for the metal carry-clip, so replaced with small split ring.

Like the ease of battery replacement when the time comes, and its easy-to-cycle modes. One squeeze between modes starting at off cycles to bright, dim, flashing, and back to off.

#54706 - 11/29/05 06:15 PM Re: is the inova microlight anygood
Anonymous
Unregistered

thank you guys for the info. i am new to the forum so excuse the simplicity of my questions and the same for answers i may give

#54707 - 11/30/05 01:00 AM Re: is the inova microlight anygood
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
Dustin,

My first keychain light was a Photon. It is a decent light with a few limitations. I do not like the exposed LED. Mine cracked and the input plummeted. It had to be retired.

The Inova microlight has been a better solution for me. The LED has much greater protection, so I don't worry about damage. The momentary switch on the Inova seems a bit better. The full "on" switch on the Inova is superior to the Photon IMHO.

The Inova I have does not have the microprocessor chip for various lighting modes. I hope they still have the basic model available. The multiple lighting modes seems a bit gimicky and is just another component waiting to fail. KISS.

I ditched the big metal clip for a smaller split ring on the Inova.

I plan on picking up another keychain light tonight. If Target still sells the basic model Inova, that will be my choice.

Good luck, TR

#54708 - 11/30/05 01:44 AM Re: is the inova microlight anygood
paulr Offline
Addict

If you want a durable KISS keychain light I recommend a 1AAA light (Arc AAA, www.arcflashlight.com , or Peak Matterhorn, www.peakledsolutions.com ) over a coin cell light. The AAA lights are metal, built like tanks, waterproof, yet not that much heavier than the coin lights. They run on common AAA cells that are easy to change, and the total light you get per battery is much higher. If you get the Peak unit I recommend the Ultra power configuration.

#54709 - 11/30/05 02:54 AM Re: is the inova microlight anygood
Virginian Offline
journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
I bought about 2,500 Inova Microlights to fill a military order for our survival kits and 5% of them were worthless. Some of them had dead batteries, others would turn themselves off and on when you bumped them and several were shipped to me without the batteries in them. The good part was that they replaced all the bad lights- no questions asked.

We have purchased several thousand Photon II's and we just found the first bad one about a month ago (the batteries were low). It was also replaced with no questions asked.

The great thing about owning a survival kit business is that I get samples of just about everything you could ever want in a kit and I have tested just about every microlight available (I have a box full). I have yet to find a worthy replacement for the Photon.

My 2 cents, George

#54710 - 11/30/05 06:25 AM Re: is the inova microlight anygood
fugitive Offline

I second PaulR's appreciation of the ARC AAA flashlight. It is my current keychain light. I consider it the near perfect keychain flashlight (only because nothing's perfect, right?).

However, I hesitate on recommending this fine flashlight to non-flashaholics due to the high price tag and long wait time to receive it. The average joe on the street might miss it's fine qualities and not appreciate the price and lead time.

That said, the Gerber Sonic AAA had keyring duty till the ARC arrived. Unless ultimate size and weight are an issue, the Sonic is arguably a better keychain light than the Photon or Inova. My biggest gripe with the Sonic is the exposed LED and the not-so-tight tailcap. So far the LED has not been damaged, but I still worry. Also the exposed LED creates more "spill" (180 degrees) than I like for discreet use. For the loose tail cap (an unfortunately common trait) I ordered a second O ring and butted it up against the existing ring. This provided a good amount of snugness and likely improved the water resistant properties as well. My sonic is now doing duty in my nightstand.

If you really want to immerse yourself in flashlight geekdom, check out:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com .

It is a good group of folks that have an illness only cured by more LUMENS!!!

I still plan on pickin up a red LED Inova to hang on my short-wave radio's lanyard. This allows me to check the dial at night without distrupting my wife's beauty sleep.

Good luck, TR

#54711 - 12/01/05 09:14 PM Re: is the inova microlight anygood
fugitive Offline

Just a quick update on my Inova Microlight impressions.

I went to the local Target to check these out. I don't like the new design at all. The original light was simple, reliable and effective. The new model smacks of gimmicky fluff. First off the case is now partially constructed of a clear plastic. This causes the entire case edge to light up when the LED is used. Very cute. “Oooh, look at the case light up”. There are times that I use a small light and I need to do it discreetly. The original design recessed the LED in opaque plastic. The light goes forward and does not light up its own case. I can see no positives to the new case design. It is pure gimmickry.

I really dislike the new microprocessor controlled LED. Why? At a minimum it is another point of failure and just unnecessary. With these little lights, I often turn them on for less than a second (i.e. to verify the frequency of a radio, etc). With the new Inova timing is everything. Too quick on and off the switch and you get some other lighting mode, not the darkened LED you were expecting. I tried it over and over and it was a crap shoot whether I got momentary lighting or some other unwanted lighting mode (flashing etc). Stupid. When I hold a flashlight, I want to be in control of the output. Not some cheesy little microprocessor that calls the shots based on number of clicks or length of press. Again, stupid. The original design was simple, elegant, and effective. The new design is now catering to the typical flaky American consumer that will buy form over function every time.

I can only hope I can still locate some of the older versions to stock up before the hoarders get them.

TR (Bitter about having to buy equipment that is designed for dimwits, dunderheads and easily excited fools).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
Yesterday at 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
Yesterday at 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.