Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5448 - 04/13/02 01:46 AM Leatherman Wave pocket clip
SonexN36SX Offline

Hi Guys,<br><br>Does anybody make a pocket clip that would fit onto my Wave?<br><br>I really like my Wave but I end up not carrying it much because my belt is already filled up with pagers, cell phone and such. I am beginning to suffer from sagging belt syndrome and want to stop its progress before I begin to display any cleavage! (I apologize if anyone is eating dinner) I also want to avoid the Batman Utility Belt look. I was hoping there would be a way to clip my Wave inside my hip pocket much like I carry my folder. While, the Wave is 4 times heaver than my Griptilian 551 (my new favorite blade BTW) I still think it would be ride well, clipped in my hip pocket and would be less obtrusive to those people that are easily frightened by anyone that carries a simple pocket knife. <br><br>David Koelzer

#5449 - 04/13/02 02:04 AM Re: Leatherman Wave pocket clip
SonexN36SX Offline

Alternatively, does any body know where I can get a bit to fit into the Wave's odd 5 point Torx like screw heads?<br><br>David Koelzer

#5450 - 04/13/02 11:13 PM Re: Leatherman Wave pocket clip
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

David,<br><br><br>Good luck. I bought a tamper-proof screwdriver set (at a stiff price) in order to take mine apart. No luck. The screw heads are proprietary, and as Leatherman told me---you ain't getting a bit for it. The only thing I could thing I could think of was to forcefully (destructively) remove the screws and replace them with a more common variety. I haven't as yet done this (I'm too chicken).<br><br>Andy

#5451 - 04/15/02 12:50 PM Re: Leatherman Wave pocket clip
NAro Offline
Addict

FUTILE !!! I share your pain. I've tried everything I can to obtain a bit or tool that would open the Wave tool. I wanted to do a modification like the forum shows on the PST' file.<br><br>Short of drilling out the special torx-like security screws and putting in new ones (you'd have to re-tap), there seems to be no solution. Leatherman (I guess I understand their position) just isn't going to let the world get one of those special bits. And I haven't found a manufacturer who will sell them to me.

#5452 - 04/15/02 08:53 PM Re: Leatherman Wave pocket clip
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Naro,<br><br>Yeah, that was my idea as well. Maybe one of the more machinist-ically inclined (Tom! You listening? ) can fabricate a bit that will work non-destructively, and we'll all share it smile As I said, I bought a rather expensive security screw-driver set (which, fortunately, I have other uses for), but none of them works. The head appears at first glace to be a security torx, but isn't. A Torx has 6 splines, the Leatherman screwhead has 5, and the post which makes it a security bit. <br><br>I also considered drilling them and then applying a screw extractor, but I can't find an extractor that small. Arrrggghhh!!<br><br><br>Take care,<br>Andy

#5453 - 04/15/02 11:15 PM Re: Leatherman Wave pocket clip
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Unfortunately, i had the same luck as everyone else. I called one of my old suppliers (i used to manage a hardware store) and they said that the five point security torx were not on the market. However they did comment that they were getting more calls for them so that it MIGHT become available in the future. If you get Tom to fabricate one, make two, you will most likely need to hold both sides to get it apart. <br><br>Now i haven't tried to take mine apart yet, but has anyone tried vicegrips? Yes it will leave marks, but if you file or mill the edges with a slight flat where you mark it up a wrench could then be used for reassembly and subsequent disassembly.

#5454 - 04/16/02 12:00 AM Re: Leatherman Wave pocket clip
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Ray,<br><br>A fine idea. I may try it if I can work up the nerve (my metal working skills leave a bit to be desired). Is a five splined Torx an actual animal? Leatherman told me it was proprietary to them. In any event, thanks for the info.<br><br><br>Andy

#5455 - 04/16/02 12:17 AM Re: Leatherman Wave pocket clip
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I am going to try and grind a security hex bit into a 3 sided tool that will fit into 3 corners. This will sort of look like an "A". I have not tried this yet, and I probably will not get to this for at least 2 weeks, but will post my results. I am going to use my Dremel tool and whatever size security hex bit that presents the least amount of grinding. <br><br>Check out www.brycefastener.thomasregister.com/olc/brycefastener/products.htm to see custom security fastners. None of these look to be the Leatherman screw, but they make custom 5-sided (Penta-Plus) fasteners.

#5456 - 04/16/02 02:13 AM Re: Leatherman Wave pocket clip
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Yes, I can make a bit for it - if I had the time ... sorry - just home from a long day. I think I can come up with a couple of non-destructive methods of removal. Alternative - yoink the durn things off and replace with appropriate off-the-shelf stuff. I'd prefer a custom-made fastener set (easy), but o-t-s is simplest. Let me think about it a bit. I'll post some ideas when I get some spare time.<br><br>Tom

#5457 - 04/16/02 12:31 PM Re: Leatherman Wave pocket clip
NAro Offline
Addict

Schwert: Before you go to all of that trouble... take a CLOSE look at the fastener. Doesn't it have a raised pin in the center? So whatever you grind needs to take that into account.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, Herman30), 351 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
Yesterday at 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.