Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#52993 - 11/02/05 05:12 AM Camelbak BFM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've searched through the forums using the search function looking for some feedback on the Camelbak BFM, and the only information I found was that the water sometimes tastes bad. I'm currently considering purchasing one for myself, but I'm in the process of trying to justify the $150 pricetag for a backpack.

I'm looking for a pack for EDC, as well as occasional daylong hikes and mountain bike rides. I have been trying to look for reviews of this pack online, but I have found only a couple that don't go into great detail, so I was wondering if anyone here has one that they use that could offer some insight.

I'm mostly curious about what the insides of the various compartments look like. The descriptions I have read say that they are not just normal compartments, but rather they are divided and have various "things" inside of them to further organize each compartment. I've tried to find pictures of this, but I have been unsuccessful.

Anyway, to sum it all up, I am mostly just wondering if people who have this pack like it, and if possible, what the composition of the inside compartments is like.

Thanks for any information.

#52994 - 11/02/05 05:43 AM Re: Camelbak BFM
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
The BFM is a nice pack. A little big for EDC for my purposes, but it is a durable, versatile pack. I have wanted to try one, but I already have way too many packs and need to divest some before I buy any new!

I personally prefer a “Three-Day” style pack like Eagle’s A-III. It is a little more open and less compartmented, allowing a larger variety of stuff to fit in. Eagle Industries, Blackhawk Tactical, London Bridge Trading Co, and many others make various versions. Personally, I am a fan of Tactical Tailor's Three-Day Pack.

#52995 - 11/02/05 05:53 AM Re: Camelbak BFM
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I know how frustrating it can be to try and find detailed preview images of equipment online, but I'll tell you something I do every once in a while when I can't find a store nearby where I can check things out first hand.

I'll look for someone selling the equipment I'm interested in buying on ebay, someone that posts actual pictures of the equipment they have on hand rather than using product shots from a website, and I'll ask them if they'll take a photo of the particular part I'm interested in. Sometimes they'll oblige if they have a digital camera handy, which most sellers do.

It sounds sneaky, but more often than not, if the person took the photo, the item was what I was looking for, and the price was right, I went ahead and put a bid on the item right there.

Hopefully somone in the ETS forum will know more about the BFM though.

#52996 - 11/02/05 07:20 AM Re: Camelbak BFM
Vinosaur Offline
dedicated member

Loc: North Central IL
I owned and used a BFM for about 4 months. It is a very nice pack, but I wouldn't recommend it for EDC. It is quite large and heavy. It has a huge carry capacity, and I found I would fill it up easily. The more room you have the more you will carry.

Things I liked. The bladder with insulation tube was good. It helped keep the water cool, and helped to prevent freezing in really cold weather. Pack is also large and fits very well on large people (me). It rides nicely on hips and didn't hurt my shoulders. I used it every weekend for about 4 months until I sold it to go smaller. Picked up a Maxpedition Vulture and like it more with the exception of the waist belt. BFM is much nicer and more comfortable.

Downside. The two side pockets are nice, but when you use the lower cinch straps, it will crush items in these pockets, so be ware. Heavy pack. Something like 5 pounds without water in the bladder. Why carry extra weight if you don't need to.

Hope this helps. Also, don't spend $150. Do a Google search and you can find it for about $120 shipped.

#52997 - 11/02/05 02:07 PM Re: Camelbak BFM
Anonymous
Unregistered

From what I understand it seems like the BFM might be a bit too big for my needs. The other two packs I have been interested in are the Camelbak Demon and Camelbak Hawg. I'm leaning more towards the Demon since it has 5 extra compartments instead of just 2 in addition to the water like the Hawg. However, I cannot find a single review of the Demon online, nor can I even find anyone selling one on ebay. Does anyone here have any experience with the Demon that they would like to share?

Thanks for any replies.

#52998 - 11/02/05 04:35 PM Re: Camelbak BFM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are some great pics.

LINK

#52999 - 11/02/05 04:53 PM Re: Camelbak BFM
stevez Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
I've had a Demon for about a month now. I had been looking for a smaller (1500cu) pack for EDC use for quite some time when I found this one. It suits my needs perfectly.

Be aware that one of the compartments is a semi hard-shell hidden compartment designed for concealed handgun carry. The pack was designed for undercover police use and is very functional in that regard. It is definately non-tactical in appearance.

Construction is very good and it is comfortable to wear. If the hidden compartment is what you are looking for, I highly recommend the Demon.

#53000 - 11/02/05 04:56 PM Re: Camelbak BFM
stevez Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
I forgot to mention in my previous post that the Demon is on sale at elitetacticalsources.com for $99. I received my order from them in about a week.

#53001 - 11/03/05 12:06 AM Re: Camelbak BFM
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
My wife used a backpack style water container one year at Burning Man; I don't know the brand. We had been carrying canteens. She liked the backpack so much she gave it to me and bought one that is the combo-pack&water container. I really liked the backpack-style water carrier.

She, however, found that when she filled hers with water and all the other crap she carries, it was uncomfortably heavy, and she was taking it off all the time to get stuff out. The hose was clipped to her collar, got under the straps, fell in the dirt, tangled in her arm, and etc. Water is heavy (I think about 8lbs. per gallon).

I don't know what the solution is with regard to weight and ease at getting to stuff. I used her old watercarrier (platypus?), putting it on first, then a photographer's vest for my crap. I don't know what they cost, but see if you can try one on and try it out for ease of access.

Phil

#53002 - 11/03/05 01:48 AM Re: Camelbak BFM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Stevez, I have a couple more specific questions about the bag if you have a minute. I had heard of the hidden compartment in my research of the bag online. Since it is for a concealed handgun, it seems like it would only make sense that this compartment is easily accessible with the backpack on. Where exactly is this compartment located? Is it in the lower-back area? Does it zip shut like the other compartments, or does it close by some other means?

Also, are any of the other compartments subdivided or do they include any sort of organization slots, like the little pencil holders you see in so many generic backpacks?

Thanks again everyone for the replies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
2 registered (KenK, Jeanette_Isabelle), 422 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
19 minutes 0 seconds ago
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
06/20/24 04:58 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.