The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52808 - 10/28/05 02:57 AM Firepistons Revisited
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Groupings of animals or even objects get generally get some sort of unique classifier….a gaggle of geese, a murder of crows, a flock of pelicans, a ream of paper, a pot of coffee, a wallet of money….whatever. Well I have been quite fortunate to have been working with a couple of the BCUK members and FirePiston makers over the past couple of months. Now I find myself in possession of a multiple of FirePistons…so I propose this grouping

A Compression of FirePistons

I started out with a Piston Hand Drill model from Darrel Aune of D&B Primative Forgeworks. I played with it for several weeks but found it getting progressively harder and harder to stroke. I noticed the difference really in comparison to my recent arrival from Jeff Wagner. I made a brief mention of it on a forum where Darrel hangs out, and before I knew it he had contacted me asking me to return the piston for a tune up. So off it went. About a week later I had a message from Darrel that he had retuned the piston, attributing the stiffness to slight shrinkage due to some not completely aged Cocobolo that had snuck into his stock. He mentioned that the piston was on the way back and he had added a couple of things for my trouble. I figured a handful of fungus or some char would be included, and I anxiously awaited it return.

Well a pretty large box arrived and was I ever surprised when I opened it up. Not only had my original piston returned with a very smooth stroke, but he had added a very neat tinder pick to the hand drill hole.

This pick looks to have been made from bone and is just a very neat addition to the piston. I can roll a small coal out of the piston quickly and neatly. I was super pleased….but wait…

Also in the box was another complete piston….a bit shorter than the other and not a string gasket but a bog standard O-ring. This piston has a super rebound…it is almost hard to get the shaft to bottom for storage.

Very nicely done and a neat modern approach.

This whole family….my Compression of Pistons now includes the Bushcrafter from Jeff Wagner of Wilderness Solutions, with tinder compartment in the handle, the hand drill model with pick and the O-ring model both by Darrel Aune.

The various other bits surrounding this Compression of Pistons are tinder bits from Darrel including cattail down, mullein pith, char cloth, birch bark, thistle, string and lube, tinder fungus and tow. My handbraided lanyard for the Bushcrafter collar and of course my Ingram Wharncliffe #4 are included.

Really a very generous box back from Darrel.

These guys are a pleasure to work with. All three of these pistons now stroke smoothly and produce coals on the first or second strike.

These devices are quite unique ways to produce fire and while a bit bulky are really great in a windy place as the fungus works even better.

#52809 - 10/28/05 03:34 AM Re: Firepistons Revisited
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Do you know if anyone has tried making a piston from, say, aluminum, or a light alloy steel? Or maybe some kind of high temp plastic, like lexan?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#52810 - 10/28/05 03:46 AM Re: Firepistons Revisited
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

I know there are lexan versions. There is a site somewhere with a video of them in action. I cannot quite remember or find it however. These look like a flat ended syringe but I do not know how they functioned.

I have never seen metal ones offered for sale. If you can find a copy of Cache Lake Country by John Rowlands, he has a drawing and description of one based on some metal tubing. Good book too...I have a review here:

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=133

#52811 - 10/28/05 03:53 AM Re: Firepistons Revisited
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've never seen these before.
Where can I get more info on them?

#52812 - 10/28/05 03:54 AM Re: Firepistons Revisited
Burncycle Offline
Addict

#52813 - 10/28/05 04:03 AM Re: Firepistons Revisited
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

You can find Jeff Wagner Pistons at Wilderness Solutions

http://www.firepistons.com/

And Darrel Aune at D&B Primative Forgeworks

http://www.primalconnection.com/

Both of these guys are super to deal with, and their work is quality. Jeff has been supplying pistons for quite some time and Darrel is relatively new. Darrel also sells on ebay.

#52814 - 10/28/05 04:15 AM Re: Firepistons Revisited
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

#52815 - 10/28/05 09:17 AM Re: Firepistons Revisited
SgtMike88Ret Offline
Journeyman

Randy,

I have a lexan fire piston I'd happily send you to test and review. Lemme know...

M

#52816 - 10/28/05 02:28 PM Re: Firepistons Revisited
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Very interesting but I see two types of "pistons" listed, a "fire piston" and a "drill piston". What is the difference ?<><

#52817 - 10/28/05 03:58 PM Re: Firepistons Revisited
JOEGREEN Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, New York
Here are two variations, the first made from PVC:

PVC fire piston

the second, yours for only $115, about halfway down the page:

Plexiglas fire piston

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 605 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.