This may be too philosophical, or political to post here, but its a question I have had, and is best for lawyers and politicians, but it's a concern I have. Please read all the way through before replying, if you feel the need.

I am the type of person that likes to help people, unfortunately a disaster poses a unique situation. I've taken the time to prepare, and others have not. While the "Ant and the Grasshopper" story is cool, it only has 1 grasshopper. Not 10,20,30,50 grasshoppers stopping by food. So, in a disaster, its probably best to keep supplies to yourself and those you care about.

Anyway getting to the point. I have not heard any stories, so I don't know if it has ever happenend, but there are definately people that have not prepared. What if these people come and demand your supplies with force, or implied force? Are you permitted to defend your supplies? I think ethically, yes, in a disaster situation. Those supplies are designed to meet your needs and no one elses.

I've done a little research, but there is nothing written that explicitly handles this provision. In Florida, statue 776.013 addresses the use of force, and apparently if your supplies are in your "dwelling" (which includes tents that you will sleep in), you can defend them (Not a lawyer, go look it up yourself, and get your own legal counsel)

Okay, great, I can defend my supplies (in my opinion...). What happens if an "official" comes up and requests supplies for himself? Does the state law prevent him from doing that? Defending your supplies against a "police officer", for example, in a disaster isn't probably very wise. Another case of no absolute answer.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't help people, but it gets to a point where you have to save yourself, and the way the laws are now (i.e. subject to interpretation), you choice isn't very clear.

This probably isn't a big deal in the big scheme of things, but if you've taken the time to prepare, and someone demands your stuff, do you just give it up, hope to survive and avoid jail?

I'm going to contact my representatives to see what can be done to clarify. Maybe making such clear statements would encourage others to prepare.

If you think that this is a problem, perhaps you should contact your local and state representatives.

If you feel the need to discuss, then keep it civil.