Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51676 - 10/10/05 05:57 AM Which gmrs radio?
ianjbs Offline

I am in the market for a pair of gmrs radios, and was wondering what your opinions are on the various models available. I am primarily interested in the highest quality, longest range model I can find. Thanks for the help!

#51677 - 10/10/05 07:13 AM Re: Which gmrs radio?
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Motorola makes the best for the money. Cobra would be the next best, Uniden and others at the bottom of the pile.

Get Motorola and you will be satisfied, and more likely to interchange with others.

#51678 - 10/10/05 07:43 AM Re: Which gmrs radio?
ianjbs Offline

thanks for the info, ben

#51679 - 10/10/05 03:40 PM Re: Which gmrs radio?
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
With it coming up on hunting season you might be able to get a good sale. I just got an in store sale of a pair of $100 radios for about $80 but the kicker was it was a buy one get one free sale on top of that so I ended up with $200 worth of radios for $80

#51680 - 10/10/05 04:46 PM Re: Which gmrs radio?
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Rechargable batteries are nice, but the ability to use AA or AAA in a pinch would seem, to me, to be vital.

The ideal would be the ability to use either.

#51681 - 10/10/05 07:03 PM Re: Which gmrs radio?
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Most GMRS users get the license (you do need a license to operate GMRS) for one of two reasons:

1 - To have a radio that provides longer direct transcieving range because of increaed trasmitting power.

TRUTH: Get a GMRS radio with a removable antenna. Range is 99% antenna and 1% power. The primary antenna factor is height. GMRS signal is mostly line-of-sight. A hybrid GMRS/FRS which has a fixed, non-removable antenna, will have about the same range as a regular FRS radio. If you want to increase range, get a GMRS radio with a removable antenna and attach the radio to an external antenna which maximizes height - some use rope to haul an antenna up into a tree.

2 - To access GMRS-only channels and thus avoid the chatter on FRS frequencies.

TRUTH: The extensive sales of hybrid GMRS/FRS radios along with the unlicensed (illegal) use of the GMRS-only channels difficult in "active" areas - such as Disney properties and the like. Luckily the radios have limited range and in less popular areas you should find inactive frequenceis. Consider getting a MURS radio instead.

3 - To access GMRS repeaters

TRUTH: Use of a GMRS repeater can dramatically increase your range, since the repeater antennas are usually placed for maximum range in the area. Its that line-of-sight thing again. First you'd need a GMRS radio that is repeater compatible - that broadcasts on one frequency and recieved another. Second, you'll need to get permission to use most GMRS repeaters, since they are privately owned.

Some useful links:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/ - FCC Universal Licensing

http://www.provide.net/~prsg/ - Personal Radio Steering Group site

http://popupcamping.tripod.com/frs.html - FRS Radios and the Real World

http://www.ultimatefrs.com/ - Ultimate Reference Site for Family Radio, GMRS, MURS and PMR446 Radios

http://www.gmrsweb.com/gmrs.html - Popular wireless magazine GMRS site

#51682 - 10/11/05 10:21 AM Re: Which gmrs radio?
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Bravo!!!

Saved me the trouble.

#51683 - 10/11/05 08:43 PM Re: Which gmrs radio?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Give these a look. Not great for range but GPS Position Reporting feature & unit polling can be a life saver: Garmin Rino

#51684 - 10/11/05 09:17 PM Excellent point
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
I have a Rino 120 battery powered radio/gps. A great little system. Power cord adapter for car use, battery powered in the backwoods. Radio is a little underpowered but sufficient for my use (usually boat to boat in Northern Canada).

Garmin just introduced 2 new Rino models, with better radio range, but they are rechargeables. In my opinion, it kind nixes there usefulness for backwoods/survival purposes

#51685 - 10/14/05 06:49 AM Re: Which gmrs radio?
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Go talk to a real land-mobile radio dealer. You want to look for commercial quality gear. Real GMRS radios are "repeater-capable" (tell your dealer you want this feature). Oh, and get a license, if you don't have one already. GMRS is a license-required service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (wileycoyote), 652 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.