I tried to find the director of my daughter's preschool this morning, but she was in one of the classrooms I think. I've wondered about what that lab school will do if they have to evacuate from the university campus. I know there are buses that bring some of the kids there, but what about all the kids that walk, ride bikes or have parents drop them off? What about the preschool kids, who are all dropped off by their parents? Enough room on the buses for all of them? Probably not.

And the school I work at, I think a disaster would be a disaster. Most of the kids have multiple disabilities. If we had to evacuate them, with so many wheelchairs...

Then (and this borders on TEOTWAWKI thinking) I consider what would happen if a widespread disaster took place and both the kids at my school and my own kids were in danger. Not to say that my own family comes second, but I work at a residential school, and those kids' parents are scattered all over the state. I feel responsibility there too.

I've seen those old movie clips of kids practicing duck and cover drills, and putting on gas masks... are we really so arrogant that we think we don't need to practice for worst case scenarios anymore?

My question to the forum is this: how do I address this concern with my daugher's preschool in a tactful way? "Oh, btw Ms. Center Director, I think your emergency procedures are woefully inadequate and you and I need to sit down right now and hammer this thing out" would probably create some tension. At the same time, my priority is the safety of my child, and if people think I'm wrong because of that, so be it.

The other concern is the speed at which "Boards" can move trying to resolve such things. It's not going to do me any good for their emergency procedures to be updated three years from now.

Suggestions?

BTW, good story Sue.