The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#50103 - 09/24/05 01:12 PM Re: Surefire Flashlights
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
> I was actually thinking about a L1 Lumamax.

I have one. I hate it.

I researched it before buying and probably came to the same conclusion as you. LED with two levels, one for bright and one for battery life, seemed ideal. The problem is that it has a narrow beam with no spill. If you are walking down a forest path at night, the low beam gives a faint spot of light which is useless for anything. The high beam gives a brighter spot that blinds you to anything outside of it. The spot is less than a foot across, so you can't see ahead to where you're going at the same time as seeing what you're feet are actually walking on.

The L1 does have good throw - that is, the ability to illuminate at a distance. The low beam isn't bright enough for that, but over distance the high beam spreads out a bit and can light up a reasonable - though still smallish - area. But by "good throw" I really mean good for an LED. Incandescents generally beat LEDs for throw. I dug my old cheapish incandescent torch out of my car, and it has better throw and also a more useable spill. I suspect you need to spend a lot of money to get an LED that can compete (I keep looking longingly at the SF U2). And even then you'll get more glare from fog or mist.

Frankly, if I am going for a walk at night I'd rather take a tiny Photon Freedom keyring light than the L1.

I am told that the fix is to buy a beamshaper, which spreads the spot of light around a bit. I've not been able to source one. Surefire want another $30 for shipping a $12 part, and no dealers seem to have them in stock (including Lighthound). Also I am concerned it will seem like an engineering bodge. Extra weight and length on a torch which is already big compared to other single-cell lights.

The build quality of the L1 is good, and it's not put me off Surefire, but I can't recommend it, especially not without the beamshaper. And it's not cheap.

Currently I carry an Orb Raw for casual use - it's not a survival light by any means, but it's much smaller, much brighter and has much a better beam than the L1. I carry a Photon Freedom as backup - this is the light I actually trust. I have a Zipka+ headlamp which I also trust - a hands-free light is really useful if have to work in the dark, and its batteries last over 100 hours. Those three together probably cost less than the L1.

I notice Doug Ritter mentions an L1 in his waist pack. Be aware that Surefire changed the design of the L1. Earlier models are apparently less bright but with a better beam shape. I suspect the people who like the L1 either have one of those, or else have the beamshaper; I don't know if Doug would agree.

#50104 - 09/24/05 01:32 PM Re: Surefire Flashlights
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I have an early Surefire G2, and I like it. A lot. And I'm not a flashlight geek, as many here will certify. I find that even with the lower intensity bulb, it makes a fine replacement for my old, heavy, big Mags in every capacity except for, uhm, diplomacy.

I don't mind the synthetic construction. It is thick and tough, it reminds me a lot of what goes into pistol frames these days. Tough enough for me. And, since the color goes all the way through, even if it gets scuffed or scored, it won't show through, and a few seconds with a small blade or nail file will probably take care of the rough spot.

The bulbs, though are pricey. Almost the cost of a new G2, actually. That is the big downside to it, and half the reason why I have a Streamlight Twintask 1L on my belt EDC. I like it, but I wish they had a lock out function on the side power switch- found it had been turned on accidently somehow, and the battery was dead. but I always cycle it so that if that happens, it goes into the LED mode, and it is easy enough to prevent just by making sure that the switch is facing in or towards the leatherman that lives in the other half of the pouch.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#50105 - 09/24/05 04:46 PM Re: Surefire Flashlights & Zipka+ & Photon
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I am also a fan of the Petzl Zipka+ headlamp. I have one in the Petzl pouch wrapped around the shoulder strap of my PSK/BOB/CamelBack. You can put the cord around the pouch flaps and mount the light on the pouch sideways. When it is hot out and you are wearing a hat is can be a bother to keep positioning the light back on your hat after you take it off to wipe off sweat. I love the different intensity levels and the blink mode. I have been on a night hike with it. It has good spread for seeing the trail around you and enough reach to see as far in front of you as you normally look. We got separated from our group and I had to use my SureFire to look down the trails at an intersection to see which way we to go.

My general purpose/EDC light is my CMG Infinity Ultra (AA LED). It has a clip. I can clip it to the bill of my hat and use it as a headlamp. It is an AA LED so it is not anything like a SureFire. One AA battery will last at least 25 hours, at full brightness, with many more hours of diminished light.

I also have a Photon I red and a Photon I ultra violet light on my key ring. The ultra violet is fun to use when looking for scorpions. The red is good for a quick look at night so you don’t lose your night vision.

I admit it: I carry 4 lights on me for EDC and the Zipka+ and a Photon III white are in my PSK. I keep the Photon III white in my first-aid kit. Plus my PSK has an extra SureFire bulb and batteries for all the lights.

Gen. 1:3-4 “And God said, Let there be light and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good…”

#50106 - 09/24/05 05:02 PM Re: Surefire Flashlight as signal light ++
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
This is the wrong tread but here is a couple of interesting signaling ideas:

If you want to signal at night to airplanes or a distant location try pointing your SureFire at the airplane or horizon. Give them 3 good flashes and then rotate your body and give another 3 flashes, etc. The SureFire will reach farther than a D cell strobe light. Another way to signal at night is with your ferro rod. Face in the direction you want to signal. Make 3 good sparks and turn your body some and make 3 more big flashes, etc. It works like a strobe light. Get someone to observe at a distance of several hundred yards and give it a try. Try out different whistles while you are at it. You will find that the Storm whistle is significantly louder than any other whistle. Get one for each family member: $4.88 at Wal-Mart.

#50107 - 09/24/05 06:24 PM Re: Surefire Flashlights
Anonymous
Unregistered

I switched to Surfire because I needed a small reliable light on my belt for work.
I started with the E1e Executive light, and it was fantastic. I then found an E1e withthe KL1 LED and that is even better.
Both lights are brighter and have better beams than my 3 cell Maglights.
I would buy a LED model because of battery life and it is more robust than a fillerment globe.
I also use my old Mini Maglight belt holster. With the E1e's you can keep a spare battery and the light in the pouch.

#50108 - 09/24/05 06:25 PM Re: Surefire Flashlight as signal light ++
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Keep in mind there are two models of the SF L1. The older version had a wide floodish beam. The new version is much more narrow. Personally I think the old version is much better.

As stated, the SF F04 beamshaper can make pretty much any light with a 1" bezel into a flood.

In general, I love my (old style) SF L1. However, today, I think the HDS EDC lights offer everything the L1 does and lots more in a similar price range.

Consider when you look at the HDS EDC options that the L1 on high is rated at 22 lumens. If you look at the EDC options, that means a HDS EDC Basic 42 is the closest to apples to apples.

But the Basic 42 is the bottom of the HDS product line and current options go all up to 85 lumens with lots more flexibility.

review

There is also the lens kit for the EDC. If you get this option, you can choose between a lexan lens, a glass lens, and attach a mild diffuser to get the beam the way you want. This, and you can also use the SF F04 diffuser (it fits perfectly) if you want mega flood.

-john

Edit: Here are some photos of the HDS EDC compared to the SF L1 and the SF E2e. Keep in mind that the U85 pictured is about as bright as the E2e but can be set to 20 levels of light as well as SOS, strobe modes, etc. The rubber "armor" in the picture are SF F05 filters with the lens pushed out. I probably won't carry it that way, but was just seeing if it would work. pics

Edit2: This thread at CPF has links to most of the HDS EDC threads on CPF.

Edited by JohnN (09/24/05 07:05 PM)

#50109 - 09/24/05 07:26 PM Re: Surefire Flashlights
thompma3 Offline

WOW! Thanks for all of the feedback. I was expecting about a 50/50 reponse for the Surefire, but most of you really have great things to say. I will more than likely go ahead with the 6P (I prefer the aluminium body). I will let you know what my thoughts are after I try it out.

Thanks everyone!

#50110 - 09/24/05 07:47 PM Re: Surefire Flashlights & Zipka+ & Photon
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
I will add my recomendation of the Petzl Headlamps. I have a few of them none have ever let me down. My favorites are my Tactikka Plus and the MYO 5... The MYO 5 is the best headlamp I have ever had; the combination of a 5 LED light for close in work by and a Halogen spot/flood for distance lighting. Petzl has always made exceptional equipment, their LED headlamps are no exception.

#50111 - 09/24/05 10:59 PM Re: Surefire Flashlights
BigAssDiesel Offline
Journeyman

Left to right: SureFire L2, A2, L1 and E2 defender.

I have 4 Sure-Fires. I have a E2 defender which has an incandescant bulb. It has the crenulated (sp) bezel for use as an impact weapon. I dont care for it as the bezel hurts me when I carry in pocket. I keep it clipped to my truck visor. The A2 Aviator has an incandescant bulb and 3 red leds. It was my favorite light until I got my L1. The A2 is nice but I would recommend the white/white led. I love my L1, I carry it daily and use it daily. Has 2 outputs, high/low. On low it will run a very, very long time. It only takes 1 battery that I have yet to replace in 6 months. I bought the L2 thinking bigger = better. Wrong. It puts out about as much light as far as my L1, only a wider circle. I highly recommend the L1/A2. Working in EMS for almost 12 years and being a gear queer, I have owned many Mag-Lights, Streamlights and Surefires. My top picks are the L1 and the Streamlight Stylus leds.

#50112 - 09/25/05 02:33 AM Re: Surefire Flashlight as signal light ++
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
You will find that the Storm whistle is significantly louder than any other whistle. Get one for each family member: $4.88 at Wal-Mart.

Camping section?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.