In general, people with severe life threatening asthma never go anywhere without their inhaler(s) and an epi pen. If I were to come across an asthmatic trapped in rubble, I would ask them where it is, retrieve it for them, and help them use it. People with moderate asthma can usually, with breath control techniques, remain functional. When I have an asthma attack, I can drive and walk and do everyday tasks, but I can't run, talk for a long time, or do algebra :-). I also become very cranky at people who try to draw me into long conversations. Don't they know that every breath is precious!

Usually, my asthma is provoked by allergies. I inhale a bad thing, say, for example, mold; my body reacts by shutting down the airways. If I move myself to an environment with cleaner air and sit quietly for a while, breathing becomes easier. But I won't be "normal" for another day or two. This is not "all in my head" or "self limiting"; it's documented by lots of expensive tests. But, emotions can certainly contribute to making it worse. As long as I remain calm, I can function well enough to not need help (unless I'm trapped under rubble, in which case, please help me remove the rubble. Inhalers will not be necessary).

People with exercise induced asthma usually normalize a few minutes after they stop the exercise. My brother has this kind of asthma and he uses an inhaler before exercise. He also works out a lot, trying to stretch the lenth of time he can exercise without having an attack. He is definately improving, but it takes work and dedication, not a reliance on medication.

Psychology does play a role in health and non-health, but it is the same role whether the patient has asthma or a broken leg. You wouldn't tell someone with a broken leg that they would get better if their mother stopped being so controlling, would you?

I have an epi pen in my purse, should the need arise, but in two years I've only had one attack that couldn't be solved by moving to an area with cleaner air. That time, I was still functional enough to drive home, hook up my nebulizer, and treat myself.

Still, a paper bag might be a good thing to keep in the FAK, for people who are hyperventilating.