My apologies as I was not very clear in my original post. I will try to answer all, but...
I was originally posting about surviving in place. I am not going to tote a portable hospital about, especially since I am not a MD.
I have a laryngoscope, but it is a tight fit in the case. I did not intend to imply that one should just jam the forceps down the throat and grope about.
Scalpels & scissors are good in your kit. A scalpel is good for splinters, opening abcesses (did that on myself)etc.
The medical items given were just examples, not a complete list.
The meds are for me & my family, people who are not likely to sue me. I would not give meds out to others, esp. prescription ones.
I am not a surgeon by any stretch of the imagination. I used the incision & drainage method (used before antibiotics) after a cat bite got infected. after 3 days of daily opening & drainage, it healed up. I also did part of a root canal on myself. I had an abcess at the upper end of an upper tooth root. The DDS drilled a hole, prescribed the wrong antibiotic & said "Wait ten days and let it drain". On the second day the hole got plugged & the pain was enormous. No drug would touch it. I was at work & it was at night, so I opened the hole myself. I used a piece of wire sterilized with alcohol and pushed until blood came out. The pain was gone within 3 min. The next day, the doc changed the antibiotic & all was well after that.

Edited by riedmur (09/15/05 10:20 PM)