Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#485 - 04/07/01 05:46 AM survival knifes?
lostinthewoods Offline
newbie member

Loc: U.S.A. A.Z. prescott valley
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I enjoy reading the ideas on it. I am wondering what you think is the best survival knife excluding multitools and folding knifes. Right now I am thinking about the cold steel SRK Bush Ranger or the Ontario Survival Bola or something like these for under $75.00 range. I would like to hear what you think.<br><br>wwwaaaaaasssssssssuuuuuuppppppp

#486 - 04/07/01 07:07 AM Re: survival knifes?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What are you planning to survive,and what are you planning to cut?There are many knifes geared to specific environments;the machete in jungle,stainless sheepsfoot for marine etc.I have an SRK as my primary knife,and several others for different scenarios. It's relatively inexpensive and you can assemble the basics with the money saved. To paraphrase a carpenter's adage,research twice and buy once.And shop around!Listed retail can be significantly less at some knife sites.<br><br>

#487 - 04/07/01 06:55 PM Re: survival knifes?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just talked to the owner of cold steel again.Are you looking at the SRK,or the larger 71/2"Bushranger?AndyO is more familiar with this blade.Since your in AZ,I can't see much use for a larger blade.Wacking up a suquaro wont supply water and the only danger from two or four footed threats better handled by a firearm.The bigger blades are clumsier for refined work and very tiring for all this clearcutting and cardoor impaling .Thats a lot of carbohydrates lost in a survival situation!<br><br>

#488 - 04/08/01 05:06 AM Re: survival knifes?
lostinthewoods Offline
newbie member

I am looking at both the SRK and the Bush Ranger. And I want it for an all purpose knife. You never know when you might have to impale a cardoor. A good choping knife is good in my area.Their is a lot of scrub oak cottonwood other stuff like that around hear.<br><br>wwwaaaaaasssssssssuuuuuuppppppp

#489 - 04/08/01 05:31 AM Re: survival knifes?
lostinthewoods Offline
newbie member

thax 4 the info.<br><br>wwwaaaaaasssssssssuuuuuuppppppp

#490 - 04/08/01 05:26 PM natural flint info
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've lost matches,metal match,magnifying glass,zippo,and sparklite tool.There is an abundance of flint,chert,quartz.I pull out my knife to create a spark and nothing.Why not?I recently learned that stainless steel will not spark natural flints,and that carbon blades must have a rockwell of 60.My Swedish carbon Moras will spark,as will horseshoes (even on the horse,don't ask).<br><br>

#491 - 04/09/01 02:40 PM big knife, small knife
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
For $75, I would get a Kabar, a pocket hone of choice and a swiss army knife with scissors and saw. Hard to beat the good ole kabar for the money. You could also convert it into a "Karbar" by rasping the leather handle to suit, cutting off the top guard and drilling a hole through the pommel for a lanyard ala Chuck Karwan.<br><br>

#492 - 04/09/01 08:40 PM Re: survival knifes?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have owned the CS SRK since they first came out and I find the knife very strong and easy to sharpen - a great knife. However I believe you will find the SRK to be either too big or too little for most survival tasks. I suggest you look into getting the CS kukri (or similar). These big blades are great for chopping, clearing, and defense. Also get a good folding hunter knife. My favorite is the Gerber Gator. This combo will allow you to take on a vast range of tasks.<br><br>

#493 - 04/12/01 02:39 AM Re: survival knifes?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course the best survival knife is the one you have with you when you have to survive. Will you always have that big "knife" with you? I'd think about spending the bulk of that money on a fallkniven F1 or cold steel master hunter that will be extremely convenient to have with you all the time. <br>Then spend 14$ for an Ontario heavy duty utility machete for chopping, if you must.<br>JB<br><br>Expect poison with the standing water.<br> -William Blake

#494 - 04/12/01 07:24 AM chopping?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"Forgive me thy torn and bleeding piece of earth,that I am so meek with thy butchers". Why the emphasis on chopping?A wire saw will secure poles for a shelter.A knife will notch or cut by striking with a wooden billet much more safely and efficiently than recreating Achilles and Hector's duel. A machete is appropriate for blazing a path in jungle vegetation true.But in Alaskan alder or California chaparrel I found GOING AROUND a whole lot easier.Theres also a charming pair of plants associated with brush;poison oak and ivy.I just look for a migration trail used by animals.<br><br>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 616 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.