>>In moderate weather, I often sleep in a zip-up, hooded sweatshirt. <<<br><br>That sounds luxurious for car camping- I have a huge one I wear lounging around the house in the winter. I have a morbid fear of cotton in true wilderness, but I don' t think you're suggesting backpacking it.<br><br>>Presumed Lost's use of a balaclava is sounds great for even cooler weather<<br><br>With the new synthetic fleeces, the balaclava has really come into it's own. Unfortunately, most are cut too snugly (I'm a big guy with a head to match) and I bought 2 or 3 before finding one that really works well for me. They do a number on your hair, though. :-)<br><br>When it comes right down to it, a HUGE amount of camping/backpacking/survival skill amounts to just one thing- controlling the flow of heat in and out of the body. Our bodies are pretty much drip-dry, the only reason we really care about rain or snow is the thermal effects. Tents, tarps, pads, sleeping bags, rain gear, parkas, jackets, clothing, hats (I'm a big fan of hats in wilderness), fires, even stoves and cooking gear are all really ways of coping with this one issue.<br>