San Antonio is one of the most flood prone cities in the nation. In 1987-88, then Mayor Henry Cisnereos used the flood drowning death of one of my clients to promote a bond issue which was then the largest in history. Now, nearly 20 years down the road, the work that money was meant for is only about 50% done and the money is 100% expended. A lot of the work in question was to be joint projects with the City, the State, and the Corp. The Corp never had enough money, the State ran out on money, and inflation ate up the City's money. That is the practical reality of getting anything done for public safety infrastructure.

Virtually the entire state of Texas is covered by one flood control district, river authority, or other water district, and often more than one. The result is that for any given geographical point, there may be as many as 7 governmental and quasi-governmental entities with some degree of jurisdiction, some financial interest, and 'turf' to protect.

You can't do a flood project without messing with the roads; you can't move the road without messing with utilities; you can't mess with utilities without dealing with public works; you can't get public works to move until they have sessed the public, who will complain no matter what they do.

Am I frustrated? You bet. I've been beating my head against these walls for nearly 20 years.