Topic Options
#47822 - 09/01/05 03:17 PM USFA/FEMA Request
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Just received this e-mail:

Release Date: August 31, 2005

Hurricane Katrina: USFA Request to Mobilize Fire Service Members

Our Nation is faced with the most catastrophic natural disaster in modern times, and we are calling upon the Nation’s fire service to aid the affected citizens and communities. This is the United States Fire
Administration’s initial request to mobilize members of the fire service within Federal guidelines.

The current need is for 1,000 two-person teams. A department may offer
more than one two-person team. These people will be deployed as a team,
and we prefer that they know one another prior to deployment.

This initial request is for full-time career firefighters that are
employed by municipal government and sponsored by that municipality
because of the way that salaries and expenses will be reimbursed. We will include the volunteer fire service in the next phase. They must be:

Physically capable of performing manual tasks under severe conditions;
Experienced in working with minimum supervision;
Capable of living in austere, severe living conditions with minimal or no creature comforts for a period of at least 30 days;
Free of medical condition(s) that would prevent them from working in these conditions for this period of time; and,
Able to work within the ICS, provide basic first aid, and follow orders.

The work is non-operational community relations focused activities that
consist of direct outreach to persons in the affected areas. They will
assist victims in understanding how they will go about the process of
getting Federal assistance, distributing information, providing minimal
first-aid, and taking reports. The work will be outside, exposed to the
elements and will require significant walking.

FEMA will notify the Chief of Department, and selected applicants will be notified by their Chief of Department that they have been selected. NO ONE SHOULD DEPLOY WITHOUT NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE FROM FEMA. Selected applicants will report to a central location in the Atlanta, Georgia area for training and further deployment. Travel to the Atlanta, Georgia area will be per government authorization in a manner specified upon acceptance. Acceptance information will also cover lodging and other related expense reimbursement information.

As a volunteer, I am somewhat frustrated that we are having to wait until phase two. Hopefully, someone in the administration will reevaluate that decision and start allowing volunteers to participate as soon as possible, as we have enormous resources available.

Pete

#47823 - 09/01/05 03:55 PM Re: USFA/FEMA Request
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I don't think that the volunteer service will be called up at all. It's just too risky down there, and a municipal/career firefighter has all sorts of legal protections we volunteers don't have.

#47824 - 09/01/05 06:52 PM Re: USFA/FEMA Request
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Possibly, but this a minimum of a 30 day deployment for a 2 person team that must be able to stay together the entire deployment and live under severe conditions. I am not sure if there are too many career departments that are willing to allow two individuals go for a minimum of 30 days.

Plus, this not an operational deployment, but one that is supportive in nature. I am not sure that within the career service there will many individuals hot to go, unless it is perceived as moral booster for the department.

Pete

#47825 - 09/01/05 07:05 PM Re: USFA/FEMA Request
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
I am a volunteer for a county Emergency Management team here in Oklahoma and I talked to our coordinator yesterday. Our state coordinator has indicated that we might be heading down for two weeks. With so many bodies of water in Oklahoma, we do alot of water recovery. We also providing lighting for regional emergencies...so I can see where volunteers might be useful.

#47826 - 09/02/05 02:41 PM Re: USFA/FEMA Request
CAP613 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: W. PA
Civil Air Patrol PA Wing is setting up two ground teams to go on Saturday for a ten day deployment.
I understand that the local squadrons are working with local officals independent of thier command structure. There are a number of aircraft doing damage survay work I understand that there where 40 sorties flown on the day after the hurican hit.
All by volunteers.

Ward

#47827 - 09/02/05 03:20 PM Re: USFA/FEMA Request
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Folks,

The planning on ths is whole disaster wrong by a factor of ten. There will be a third, fourth and fifth wave of help. Only today have the planners thought that they might have got it wrong.

If we want this to be anything but dead body recovery, resources have to go in before we reach that magic time limit of 7-15 days {after the event} when healthy people start to die.

Start packing, strart talking to your boss and your team -- and be ready to go save lives.

Teacher ro

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 612 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
Yesterday at 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.