>>Guns are also very helpful in converting uncooperative wildlife into usable nutrition.<<<br>Good one, johnbaker! I was rolling!<br><br>I decided to try something to make my combo gun even more useful than it already is. I've got a Baikal over/under break-action 12gauge/.30-06 that has surprisingly good accuracy in the rifle barrel considering they go for just over $400.00. <br><br>The items I purchased to make this firearm even more useful are called cartridge adaptors. One lets you shoot .32ACP (the little pocket pistol rounds) and the other can chamber .30 Carbine. I also got inserts to shoot .410, 28 gauge and 20 gauge out of the 12 gauge barrel.<br><br>Haven't tried the shotgun inserts but they will all be shot through a choked shotgun barrel (as opposed to the rifled barrel that spreads the shot quickly mentioned in another thread) and they supposedly pattern nearly the same as their respective gauge shotguns with approximately the same choke.<br><br>I had mixed results with the .30-06 inserts. The .32ACP fired quite small groups at 25yds. All inside 1 inch. The recoil was negligible, very much like a .22, and it made very little noise. At close ranges out to maybe 50 yards the light 71 grain round would be a great small game round. You could take food size game without blowing the uncooperative wildlife into pieces by using a normal 150grain+ .30-06 round. (never understood the 'red mist' varmint hunting types)<br><br>The .30 Carbine naturally kicked a bit more, perhaps like a .223 rifle, and was louder. Its accuracy was pretty spotty at just 25 yards. I wouldn't use it for a hunting round from my rifle, too much chance of wounding or wasting ammunition in misses. I can still use it to introduce the kids to a gradual stepped progression of recoil and blast from .22 up to full power hunting rounds as they get older and can handle more. Perhaps the .30 Carbine might work really well in another rifle while the .32ACP would be all over the place. Different rifles are finicky that way.<br><br>I'll check back to let everyone know how the shotgun inserts pattern. Incidentally, the same company that makes the inserts to power down high-power rifles also makes inserts to convert shotguns into a large number of different rifle and handgun rounds. Another useful combination if they pattern well from your particular fiream.<br><br>http://www.mcace.com/index.htm