Honda generators are inverter-design which means they generate DC and convert it to AC with an electronic module built into the generator. That gets better frequency stability and stuff like that. It's also apparently somehow related to the motor being quieter and smaller. But the generators are relatively expensive, like $1000 for a 2kw unit.

More traditional generators make AC directly, and are bigger, noisier, and cheaper than Honda-style generators. You can often buy them used fairly cheaply. Checking local online classifieds I see a 5kw unit for $700, etc.

Most generators have a "surge" capacity that's higher than their steady capacity, that takes care of turn-on transients and the like.

I do like the idea of diesel generators if your house is heated with fuel oil, since you'd normally have a pretty large supply of fuel on hand that you could tap into if needed. Diesel powered cars are attractive for the same reason.

In general, though, I think of "survival" as meaning "staying alive through a dangerous emergency". That could include using a generator to get a furnace going in order to not freeze (I'm just amazed anyone makes furnaces that won't start without electricity). I'd extend it to general emergency preparedness which would include keeping refrigerators powered so food doesn't spoil (even if buying a $1000 generator to protect $50 worth of food is not that financially wise). However, unless someone has special medical needs, I wouldn't consider running all the random electrical stuff in a house (A/C, lights everywhere, home entertainment center and waffle iron) through an outage to have much to do with survival.

So while I've found generators interesting from a tech view, I just haven't felt the need to buy one myself. Some flashlights and spare batteries, warm sleeping bags, etc., should be enough to get through power outages without extreme discomfort. If things get boring without the TV, rediscover reading.