Two comments, hoefully in non-flame mode.<br><br>One, each troop, or any organization for that matter, while vary in philosphy, atmosphere and culture. Troops can be sponsored by non-religious organizations, such as a PTA or Moose Lodge or whatever. Each of these institutions would impart a different "flavor." The BSA provides a framework for the chartering organizations to follow. Most organizations actually take a back seat and have only a moderate amount of influence over the troop's culture. Others, like the Church of Later Day Saints, take an active role and their beliefs are very much evident in the way the troop is run. It's unfortunate that your experience or perception of scouting was soured somewhere down the line.<br><br>Two, there's a big difference on the level of responsibilities and skills a group leader should teach youth from what a parent teaches. You're brother is within his rights to provide basic firearm and knife safety instructions to his four-year-old son. I, as a Scout leader, cannot make such decisions for other people's children. It wouldn't be ethical and it would likely result in a huge legal liability. Remember, these organizations are not meant to replace child-rearing parents, although that happens sometimes. <br><br>If your nephew were to decide to join scouting down the road, his troop would be better off because of his experience, and I believe he can benifit from the experience too. I personally take the position that the skills and knowledge the boys acquire through the program are seconday to the confidence and leadership they develop by participating. <br><br>If you're still reading this far down, thanks for taking the time to hear me out. BTW, I think it's cool that you and your brother spend so much time with your nephew. I know too many people that don't and you can see the difference in the child. Kudos to you both!<br><br>