I've seen estimates for the release of the IC-7000 anywhere from next month through the end of 2005, and I think I even saw one that said 2006. If it doesn't look like it will be coming out in a reasonable amount of time (and it still has to pass the FCC certs), I'll probably end up getting a cheaper radio. The main candidates right now are the Yaesu FT-8900R, FT-857D, and FT-897D, plus the Icom IC-706MKIIG. The 897 and 857 may have problems fitting into the space I have in mind.

As far as a scanner goes, I'm thinking the Yaesu V-5000. It's a bit big for the space I want to put it in, but it looks like it has all the features I want. I may want to save the space and try to find a smaller unit. For a CB, I'm thinking the Cobra 75 WX ST, because I don't need another radio bay for it--everything is contained in the handset.

Today, I picked up my first amateur radio, an Icom IC-W32A handheld 2m/70cm radio. It fit my requirements of working on at least the 2m and 70cm bands, plus NWS RX and capability of running on AA batteries. Icom also has the IC-T7H model, but the W32A can also operate as a cross-band repeater. I'm also thinking about replacing my Motorola TalkAbout 6250 GMRS radios with the Icom IC-F21GM.