Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#42937 - 07/03/05 04:50 PM Dryer lint for tender???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dryer lint is extremely flammable and I was told years ago that it would make great tender. Does anyone carry lint, is it effective and if so, in what ways do you use it?

For campfires, I would make my own fire starter out of a toilet paper tube, stuffed with a bit of paper, but mostly lint and a few twigs. Just for fun really.

#42938 - 07/04/05 03:34 AM Re: Dryer lint for tender???
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
Today’s clothing contains so many man made fibers (read plastic) that produce toxic fumes when burned most people stay away from it now. I use cotton balls and Vaseline, which makes an excellent (and cheap) fire starter. Just make sure you buy 100% cotton balls not some made with other fibers. Most people tend to use too much Vaseline when first making these so just remember to use a small amount to start and work it in to the ball. You should not be able to squeeze any Vaseline out of the ball, if you can you are using too much. Like everything else practice with it to learn how it works and what you can expect from it.

#42939 - 07/04/05 06:04 AM Re: Dryer lint for tender???
Hutch4545 Offline
dedicated member

If you sort your cotton clothes and remove the lint after each batch, you can collect quite a bit of usable tinder. I have a ziploc bag on the shelf above the dryer.

I've experimented with it and it works great. Since it's not waterproof, it's not my "primary" tinder though.

#42940 - 07/04/05 10:31 AM Re: Dryer lint for tender???
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Old cub scout doo-dah that I use for my charcoal starters and pack with me for back country survival gear is dryer lint stuffed in cardboard egg carton reservoirs and soaked with a little candlewax, enough to hold the lint together and in place. Burns quite well, is waterproof, and pretty darned cheap to produce.

Plain dryer lint won't work too good when it gets wet.

This is a variation of the cottonball/vaseline theme, but we've got the general idea here.

#42941 - 07/04/05 11:28 AM Re: Dryer lint for tender???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everyone. I had heard of using wax, etc., in the egg carton, but have never tried it. Also, I am new to this site and saw something about vaseline and cotton balls, so thank you for better explaining the concept.

Good point about fabric materials and seperating the cotton too, thanks.

#42942 - 07/05/05 06:56 AM Re: Dryer lint for tender???
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Actually, I don't worry too much about burning synthetic fibers along with cotton, since the smoke from burning cotton contains at least 11 known carcinogens anyways. However, I avoid burning wool because it releases cyanide gas. This is much more undesirable, don't you think?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, mazacheeein), 358 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.