Well, Josey, I'm not aware of any jursidiction where the use of reduced lethalityloads is illegal. I've also never heard of it being frowned on.

I suggest it because most people who use a shotgun do so in a suburban enviroment. A pellet of 00-buck can pass thought a lot of dry rock and plywood before it stops; rubber shot or bean bags, not very many layers. If you are thinking in terms of the slime's litigation, you will have a better chance with the jury becuase you can demonstrate that you were taking extra steps to not inflict perminant injury if possible.

And I challange anyone to take bean bag to the chest and stay standing. I am fully aware of the minimum employment range, and if I lived someplace were that wasn't possible, I wouldn't use a shotgun, it would be too bulky. Yes, you want 10-15 feet from the muzzle to the target with reduced-lethality kinetics, because closer than that, you frequently might as well be using lead. BUT, that does NOT change that you are taking the extra step. When you face the jury, you make utterly sure your lawyer asks you the range question. And you answer it honestly, and state that even with reduced lethality rounds, you would only fire if you were in fear of your life or those of others, the same as you would with regular ammo. You use exactly the same rules of engagement.

Law enforcement has different ROE in a riot, but if they shoot with a low lethality munition, it is becuase in thier personal opinion, enhnaced by thier training, that they or another are in imminent danger. And only then, or it is assault, as in no job, before the judge, found guilty, and thier new roommates know they were a cop.

I don't see that much of a difference. If others want to, I'd ask them about pepper spray and tasers. It greatly reduces any doubt of criminal liability, and the civil one is always there. But in that case, as I said, you have an edge. The 12 idiots on the jury are less likely to find against you if you can show you didn't want this drug fiend/rapist/murderer who broke into your house waving a machete at 3am to NOT have a chance to make a better life for himself.

And I never suggested that people use reloads, especially anything custom. Reload for hunting and target practice. If you get dragged into a court room, and plaintiff's exhibit B is your reloading bench, they will make it sound like you hand crafted the ultimate, high explosive, armour peircing, heat seaking, blood drinking, manslayer round, and the poor victem of your vigilante commando complex is alive only by miracle and buck fever on your part.

That isn't a theoretical, that is a real world situation. It has happened, and it will happen again.

However, you can buy, through a well stocked gun store, reduced recoil loads that were origionally developed for law enforcement. They have the recoil of a 20ga, and the payload of a 12ga. And they usually use a lower flash powder, so they don't dazzle you as badly. That kind of shop will usually have a lot of noise about police supplies, and cater mostly to law enforement, but if you ask for low recoil buckshot for home defense, they will very happily sell it to you. And you have a good person to ask questions of behind the counter.