Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#41961 - 06/16/05 10:45 PM Cheap, LEGAL source of milk crates?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The theoretical use for barrel stoves I thought of in improvised cook gear has me thinking. For those of us who are part of an organization, milk crates full of supplies stacked 4 high might make a good storage vessel. Color code by type of materials, with a laminated inventory sheet zip tied to the crate. Move them by dolly in the stacks, or one or two at a time by hand.

It isn't even a horrific solution for those of us with gear we are planning on just stuffing in the trunk and going when the time comes.

Only problem is, were to get milk crates? Not those cheesy, flimsy pieces of junk that you get through cosco or walmart or target, but real, heavy, durable, can take being used as a seat by a 250 pound guy, honest to light, milk crates without stealing them or going broke?

#41962 - 06/17/05 01:18 AM Re: Cheap, LEGAL source of milk crates?
MGF Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Illinois
Perhaps you could check with a grocery store or a dairy and ask them who their wholesaler is.

#41963 - 06/17/05 02:33 AM Re: Cheap, LEGAL source of milk crates?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Asked- they are owned by the dairies, who will sell me the one's they've had to retire. Which sounds like ones that wouldn't work so well for what I'm thinking.

By the by, in a slight change of topic that might not be noticed, as anyone here done business with Minimus.com? They look... interesting.

#41964 - 06/18/05 01:08 PM Re: Cheap, LEGAL source of milk crates?
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
http://www.minimus.biz/

Are you talking about this site? I looked at www.minimus.com and can't figure out how it fits with this forum.

#41965 - 06/19/05 12:58 AM minimus, Re: Cheap, LEGAL source of milk crates?
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah, minimus.biz. My bad, sorry about that.

#41966 - 06/20/05 05:14 AM Re: Cheap, LEGAL source of milk crates?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You're not the only one.

See http://teryx.bobdbob.com/~protius/rants/tubs.html

I found the Rehrig Company, that makes them. I emailed them to see if regular people can buy them, and not just cow people. Their site says they respond in two days. We'll see.

Sue

#41967 - 06/20/05 03:21 PM Re: Cheap, LEGAL source of milk crates?
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
My experience with the postal tubs is that they are probably missing because the mail carriers don't care to bring them back. At least some of them. At my last job they would drop off tubs of mail. They would be put by the door and the mail carrier would not take them back. We would do mass mailings and fill them up and take them to the post office and that was the only way they got returned. I was seriously tempted to take a couple after they sat by the door for days, but never did.

What I would really like are some of the old milk crates that were made of metal wire.

#41968 - 06/20/05 09:20 PM Re: Cheap, LEGAL source of milk crates?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very cool, Susan, thanks.

I suppose I should clarify my initial query: a cheap, legal source for like three or four of them. I know of another place where I can get them, sold in multiples of 24. Hopefully Rehrig will sell small lots.

#41969 - 06/20/05 10:12 PM Re: Cheap, LEGAL source of milk crates?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
See my thread on the crates, you can just buy one!

Sue

#41970 - 06/21/05 04:48 AM Re: minimus, Re: Cheap, LEGAL source of milk crates?
S_Bosley Offline

Re: Minimus

I bought about 60 single-use packets of first-aid supplies for $20 (to get free shipping) a few months ago. Lessee, I got...

Povidone Iodine pads
Triple antibiotic ointments
Burn ointment
Tylenol
Advil
Aspirin
Benadryl
Immodium AD
Electrolyte tablets
Sunscreen towelette with insect repellent
Antiseptic towelettes
Alcohol towelettes

I forget what else. It's cheaper than buying boxes of all those things at Wal-Mart. I wasn't happy with the selection in affordable pre-packaged first-aid kits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 480 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.