The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#183157 - 09/25/09 02:08 PM Re: Improvised cooking devices [Re: sak45acp]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
sak45acp, welcome to the group. In addition to the cardboard box oven, our Girl Scout troop uses a small trashcan (approx. 15-20gal.) to cook turkeys. The galvanized trashcan should be first burned before using it for cooking to burn off any coatings or treatments. We pound a stick (approx. 1+”) into the ground that will support the weight of the turkey, take an aluminum cake/roasting pan impale it onto the stick running it all the way to the bottom of the stick, so it is sitting on the ground to catch the juices. Impale the seasoned turkey onto the stick, you can add some water to the pan to add moisture and cover the entire thing with the inverted trashcan. Pile charcoal or wood that has developed into coals around the base of the can and onto the top (the bottom of the inverted can) of the can and cook for 15-20 minutes per pound. Add coals as necessary. Some of the best tasting turkey I have ever have eaten. We have used the same trashcan for years and you can store some of your cooking supplies in the can when storing.

Pete

#183178 - 09/25/09 05:48 PM Re: Improvised cooking devices [Re: paramedicpete]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I found a picture of the cardboard oven.

We used the lid to keep the top closed since we made ours top loading. And if you look at the top right corner of the oven, you will see the thermometer.

Here's the huge roast that was made in the oven on that wet trip. If I recall correctly, the roast cooked in the oven for something like five or six hours. Just one propane canister was used too I think.

#183222 - 09/26/09 03:18 AM Re: Improvised cooking devices [Re: aloha]
sak45acp Offline
Stranger

Loc: ct
Thanks for the welcome. Someone above asked me to introduce myself. I am in my late thirties, grew up camping and hunting, did fifteen years in the Army (half active, half NG), and have BA in History. I am still an avid "wanna be" camper as I can't get out as much as I'd like. I worked a couple of years at a Girl Scout summer camp as a lifeguard/canoe instructor and that's where I saw the winebox oven get used. I found the "real" Girl Scouts to be everybit as competent and interested in the outdoors as any Boy Scout, and learned a few things. I also worked at an outdoor retail chain for a few years and so have a better than average insite into which gear works in the outdoors and why, though I certaintly don't consider myself and expert on anything. All this has translated over to the survival/preparedness side of things.

As to the winebox oven, I have not yet constructed my own. I would not have thought to use the propane burner idea, but that is ingenius, and gives you more options. If your propane runs out you can still use charcoal. The trashcan turkey oven sounds cool, too.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 410 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.