Quote:
You can find some "D" sized Lithium batteries also... their 3.6v but you can use two in a 2-cell maglight and change out the bulb for a 5-cell bulb...

I do this as well for some of my emergency lights. Note you can also get 3V lithium cells (instead of the 3.6V). Note even though these cells are both "lithium", they have different chemical makeup and have different physical construction. Different lithium chemistries and constructions can have very different capacity profiles. For example, the batteries I point to at HDS can supply high capacity loads, some of the D cell sized "lithium" batteries cannot.

However, I would not suggest doing this until you read up on the specific types of cells you intend to use. Some, like the ones I rfer to have VERY high amounts of power in them and can off-gas hydrogen.

Instead of just suggesting you read up on how to safely handle these batteries, I will instead suggest you read this cautionary tale on CPF:

A Little Accident. W/123's and a Peli. M6

Keep in mind that the explosion in question is from a single 123A battery. The 123A battery is MUCH smaller than the D cell type lights to which we are refering.

Be careful out there!

-john

Edited by JohnN (10/04/05 01:57 PM)