Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#41396 - 06/03/05 09:29 PM Uses for cable ties
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've noticed that many survival kits / first aid kits contain cable ties. Being kinda new at this, I'm going to display my ignorance and ask: What sorts of things have folks used them for?

Thanks!

#41397 - 06/03/05 10:43 PM Re: Uses for cable ties
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
1. Tying Cables
2. Tying things to other things _quickly_ : Think of how much time you could save building a shelter using cable ties instead of cordage....

I really think they are the modern-day equivalent of baling wire. Most useful are the UV-resistant black ones, in 8" length, ~40LB hold. Just my opinion...and I BDC (backpack daily carry) around a hundred or so.

#41398 - 06/03/05 11:30 PM Re: Uses for cable ties
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
Good qeustion. I used to carry them but I no longer do. Not much I can do with cable ties that I cant do with wire, rope or duct tape and I already carry those three items.

#41399 - 06/04/05 12:49 AM Re: Uses for cable ties
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I think its sort of one of those things that are small, and potentially useful, so people throw it in. I can't think of anything they're good for in an emergency that you couldn't do with paracord, so I haven't put it in my kit. I do have a couple bags of it in my box of potential items to put in a kit though.

#41400 - 06/04/05 01:34 AM Re: Uses for cable ties
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I keep them because they are easier and quicker to cinch up one-handed than just about anything. They weigh next to nothing and are extremely strong.

Regards, Vince

Edit: Oh, the last things I used them for was to strap stuff onto my ATV, to attach my tag to the antelope I shot, and to relieve stress on the grommets on my tarp when the wind was blowing (the bungee cords were stressing the zip ties instead of the grommets--saved me from ruining a new tarp that night.)

Edited by norad45 (06/04/05 01:44 AM)

#41401 - 06/04/05 07:11 PM Re: Uses for cable ties
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well..... We won't discuss the number of them holding things together in my car....

Other ideas:

-If you have something that HAD a bolt and nut set holding it together, a zip tie often can make do in a pinch.
-Used them to replace the cotter pins in my old external frame pack.
-Use them to make belt loops on ALICE-pattern pouches, and attach pouches of all types to packs.
-used them to field expident a flash light holder to hard hats several times, everything from solitaires to surefires and scorpions.
-to replace a sling clip that snapped from cold on my old LLBean dispatch bag, and to replace a couple of zupper pulls.

THe extreme for me was using them as part of a splint, outisde the padding.

They are somewhat redundent. If you have fishline/dental floss, some wire and a bit of duct tape, those cover a lot of what you can do with zip ties. Until you have to try to use duct tape on something that is below freezing or oily and won't stick. Or trying to tie a knot when it is 40 below out, and any skin that touches anything is probably stuck there until spring. Or you don't want to have to worry about the stabby-bits from wire, or need it to be non-conductive.

A zip tie doesn't care about cold (that much or wet, and it can be put in one handed in a hurry. It is part of the bag o' tricks. After all, the two blades in the leatherman, the one in the micra, the pocket knife and the razor blades in the PSK can all be used to cut.

Although, I'm a professional computer and electronics geek. I carry a half dozen blaze orange and black ones tucked into the pouch with my leatherman and minimag, along with a bit of wire and a p38, and more in my pack. I use them more than I do duct tape. :P So I might be biased.

#41402 - 06/07/05 09:33 PM Re: Uses for cable ties
Yukon Offline
Stranger

Loc: Yukon Canada
I also caary some large ties to use on a prisioners / nutcases and the such as you never know what kind of problem you may run into
Yukon

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ratch), 425 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Ratch
3 minutes 52 seconds ago
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.