Hi back.
Thanks for the info on the subway cars...I knew the general facts, but it's good to see the system broken down like that. Also, very nice to hear about the rubber gaskets and that they could be pushed out. Wondering if there's a way to open the end doors from the outside on those cars (mostly thinking of the F)? Lots of people would not be able to squeeze out those windows (I think it would be tricky without help even if you fit).
And I understand the third rail info loud and clear.
I was in the subway when the blackout occurred - very luckily, aboveground, so we had daylight, could see around us, some could get cell reception, I could hear on my radio the news reports as the extent of the outage was more fully reported...but being underground would have been really terrible, especially in summer in a rush hour packed car (can you imagine being stuck in the Lex line like that?)
Even aboveground, we were in the car for 45 minutes before they decided to evacuate us, and even with the last car still being in direct contact with the platform, it took a LONG time for everyone to file through the train and out to the platform. People were mostly patient and polite, but overcrowding/heat/darkness/no info would REALLY change that dynamic, I think. That's the first time I started considering how else to get out of the car...and decided I needed to have some water on me always.

Brangdon: the first car info might work for regular trains, but there's no single engine car on the NYC subways...each car has electric-powered wheels, all power mechanisms under the chassis. Also, there are no hammers or other safety devices/tools aboard...just a pull cord for the emergency brake at each end of a car.

Dave