Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#39294 - 03/26/05 01:00 PM Re: L.D.S., How long can you store evaporated milk
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Interesting that you brought it up....from personal experience:
I use nitrogen saturation followed by high vacuum to seal cleaned parts at work (medical repair at a hospital). Normally these parts tarnish by the end of the day...I have parts that are ten years old that look like they are chromed.

Supposedly grain (wheat, popcorn, etc) sealed with this technique will last as long as the packaging. Removing the oxygen prior to vacuum sealing takes away anything the food might react to (oxidize/"rust"). Only caveat would be the amount of vacuum your pump could reach--ideal would be thirty inches of mecury (think the vacuum of space); I use an expensive two stage pump that gets past twenty nine inches. Most home machines, I fear (with no evidence to back this up) would probably only get 15 or so inches.

Then there's this:
http://www.viworld.net/pumpnseal/index.htm

#39295 - 03/26/05 07:35 PM Re: L.D.S., How long can you store evaporated milk
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
Billy Guttery:

I am a certified HVAC-R technician and although I have not been active for years because of my knees, I still have all my equipment which includes a 2-stage vacumn pump and a refrigerant recovery unit.

These items by themselves should remove sufficient air and water vapor so that inert gas is not even necessary. I mention the inert gas specifically for people with home type vacumn units.

Carbon dioxide in dry ice form is recommended on a web site dealing with long term storage of powder and grain foods in sealed containers.

That site recommends putting dry ice at the bottom of cans or plastic containers and hand agitating the contents occaisionally so that the air is expelled as the dry ice goes directly to a gaseous state. Since carbon dioxide is heavier than air, the air will tend to be displaced and flow over the top of the container. They recommend that when you see the dry ice practically gone, you lay a sealing type cover on it loosely so that air movement does not allow the air to work its way back into the container. When you feel the dry ice has evaporated, screw down the lid.

I have heard of wheat and corn in Pharoahs tombs being made into edible bread and the corn sprouting when planted which leads me to suspect that it is moisture in the air that does the most damage and not the air itself.

Bountyhunter

#39296 - 03/27/05 03:07 AM Re: L.D.S., How long can you store evaporated milk
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
Found a site, "Colorado State University Cooperative Extension" that indicates a 12 month storage time for canned milk, and a 24 month storage time for powdered milk at "room" temperature.

While I doubt the powdered milk, properly packaged would come to harm at most freeze-thaw temperature cycles, canned milk would have to be protected from freeze-thaw temperature differences.

Bountyhunter

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
05/26/24 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.