Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#38425 - 03/06/05 02:04 AM In defense of the humble Space Blanket
norad45 Offline
Veteran

The Space Blanket has been much maligned in this and other forums. I'm a believer in their weight to usefulness ratio. Here's what I've come up with so far, pro and con. Feel free to add or detract as the fancy strikes you.

By the way, I'm talking about the cheap $1.99 USD ones commonly encountered everywhere, not the more expensive coated "sportsmans" brands.

1. They are lighter than the lightest poncho, yet just as waterproof.

2. They do reflect SOME body heat back to the wearer. (How much is in serious dispute, but any is better than none.)

3. They make a GREAT reflector for a fire.

4. They SHOULD make a fantastic snow-melt backdrop for drinking water. (My own pet untested theory. The idea is taken from the book "Alive" by Piers Paul Reed. The survivors of the Andean crash used aluminum fusilage parts to melt snow rapidly, and the Space Blanket should work as well. I'll test it the next sub-freezing day I encounter--probably next autumn. Comments--or better yet testing from our northern --Canadian-- neighbors are encouraged!)

5. They make a passable groundcloth. Again, their reflectivity is in dispute but NOT being directly in contact with the cold wet ground is better than lounging in the mud.

Cons:

1. They are flimsy. Enough said. If it's windy, you better stay low! And carry 2' of duct tape for accidents!

2. They are noisy. I confess this has never bothered me a bit but it might disturb somebody.

Regards, Vince

#38426 - 03/06/05 06:05 AM Re: In defense of the humble Space Blanket
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Another con that many have against them is because of static cling they are a roal PITA to unfold. The static cling and the smooth surfaces causes them to stick together. Making it difficult to open up. Have you ever wondered how with stiff and cold fingers you could ever open it in a true emergency without tearing it to shreds?

Well the answer is a little careful preparation beforehand.

The best way is to take it outside on a calm day. Because this is a little messy so you might not want to do it in your living room. First carefully and calmly unpack and open the blanket. Give it a Very light dusting with either corn starch or baby powder. Then with care refold it back into its original configuration. Yes if you take your time it can be repacked just as small as the original package. Then it can be replaced in its carrying container for storage. It just takes some time and attention to detail.

The end result is the powder acts as a lubricant allowing it to be deployed much easier when it is needed.

Why the manufacturing companies don’t do this when packing them in the first place mystifies me. I can only suspect that them would rather save a couple of pennies than improve their product.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#38427 - 03/06/05 08:20 AM Re: In defense of the humble Space Blanket
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Anyone checked out the MPI Outdoors Extreme Pro-Tech survival vest and bag? I know it's not quite a space blanket, but almost, and it seems like it would have much better insulative properties.

-john

#38428 - 03/06/05 09:19 AM Re: In defense of the humble Space Blanket
03lab Offline
dedicated member

Loc: berlin.de
I have the MPI Extreme Bag and it is my primary survival shelter for snowboarding, it's definitely too large for a PSK though.

#38429 - 03/06/05 06:32 PM Re: In defense of the humble Space Blanket
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you have some cord or string with you, you can also suspend it between some sticks (etc) and use it to catch dew and rainwater. Or dig a shallow pit of suitable size and anchor the edges with rocks.

Sue

#38430 - 03/06/05 06:57 PM Re: In defense of the humble Space Blanket
StuToffee Offline

Loc: Stockport, Cheshire, UK
Check out "Ranger Ricks" simple but effective mod for turning the space blanket into a poncho using good ole duct tape.

#38431 - 03/07/05 03:19 PM Re: In defense of the humble Space Blanket
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Is that where you reinforce the corners with duct tape and put a strip down the middle on both sides? IIRC the idea was to increase the strength of the blanket for use as a tarp or a poncho. I did that for the space blanket in a kit I made for my niece but I couldn't find the link. It seemed to be a useful thing to know how to do.

Regards, Vince

#38432 - 03/07/05 03:24 PM Re: In defense of the humble Space Blanket
norad45 Offline
Veteran

That is a good idea. And while you have it unfolded you can take the opportunity to perform the Ranger Rick modifications that StuToffee refers to. When I get some time I'll be doing this to all of mine.

Regards, Vince

#38433 - 03/07/05 03:28 PM Re: In defense of the humble Space Blanket
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let's also not forget its value as a signal panel, laid out flat on the ground or held by two people to "flash" search planes, etc.
YES, space blankets are fragile, noisy, etc., etc., but for the amount of space they take up - which greatly increases people's willingness to carry them - they are way better than nothing at all.

#38434 - 03/07/05 03:44 PM Re: In defense of the humble Space Blanket
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Good point about the water. I spend most of my time in the mountains where water is plentiful and my gear and mindset reflect that. But I also do some riding in the desert and there are no water sources available for miles. And what little there is is often salty.

Speaking of the desert, the space blanket would prove to be a highly efficient shelter from the sun as well. .

Regards, Vince

Edited by norad45 (03/07/05 03:45 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 354 Guests and 103 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.