Preparedness I do a few reasons. I had noticed that you get used to each state of being such that it seems like it has gone on forever and will continue for ever; but no state does. I got more serious about this notion back in 1999, when I took the prospective millenium bug seriously and tried to be at least a little bit prepared for the collapse of society.

The second reason is that it's fun. It's an excuse to play with knifes, fire, lights and other cool things. As a hobby it is relatively cheap. Sites like this one add a social dimension. It is often interesting and educational, something to think about. For me it is much more about the fun then otherwise. I don't lie awake at night having anxiety attacks about the collapse of society.

Another reason is that much of this stuff is useful in my day to day life. I wouldn't want to be without a (small) knife or torch, even if I knew I wouldn't need them for survival. I have found the bigger stuff is useful too. For example, I make my own bread, and this was useful when a fuel strike meant the local shops ran out.

"Seeking out the best in gear" is probably a whole other thing. Lots of people do that even if they are not into preparedness. It's partly taking a long-term view of the value, partly being rich enough to afford the best, partly just preferring to handle high quality things than low quality things. Some of it is a natural consequence of minimalism. If you only carry a little, it needs to be the best.

I don't think the preparedness attitude is inborn. It is more like a hobby. People can come to it late in life.