As a long time member of the “Sharpened Pry-bar” school, I get a funny feeling if I am not carrying a fixed knife when I go into the “back country”. Normally I carry a 3” benchmade on my belt. But the axis lock has some small springs and such so I don’t consider it more than my “gentlemans” knife. Good for around town so as not to frighten the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER..

But when I step out of civilization, I carry a larger old benchmade with the frame lock. It is rugged, easy to clean and probably won’t break. I also carry (at the moment) a Becker Crewman. This is my sharpened pry-bar. Granted, it is heavy, but it is worth the freight. Over the years, one such knife or the other has been used to;

Break into a cabin when the lock jammed and it was getting cold, dark and rainy. Without the large metal object we would have had a bad night.

Rip the fastener off of a fence post when (again) the lock malfunctioned. It was that or a bolt cutter. You carry a bolt cutter???

Cut holes in an abandoned car door to make a sled.

Cut holes in an ammo box to use for an anchor. (filled it with rocks)

Punched holes in a 55 gal drum to make a fire “ring”.

Many many times, used it to pry rocks out of the way when I needed them “gone”, like enlarging a “seep” or level the ground under me.

The more common use, dig a “cat hole” to bury human waste.

And of course, many split logs.

Then there is the general hammering, prying and cutting that just come easier with a fixed knife. I really like my old benchmade and try not to abuse it if there is something bigger around.

I could go on a bit more, but you get the idea. It is more than a knife and I have done serious damage to several of them. But it was always worth the doing.