Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3528 - 01/21/02 12:07 AM Re: on a related note
jet Offline
Enthusiast

LOL!<br><br>Thanks, Ray. Now, that's a reality check! And a good reminder about priorities...<br><br>How many times have I locked my keys in my vehicle since I got my license twenty-one years ago? Can't recall any exact figure, but I do recall a few times. How many times was I in trouble because of it? Once... the first time only. After that, I carried a spare key.<br><br>Okay, hmm... lessee... how many times have I had to bug out of my home city due to environmental or social disruption? Um, er... ZERO!<br><br>So, what should be my first (not last) concern when preparing my vehicle to be there for me in an emergency? Hmm... lemmee think...<br><br>Allow me to be clear; I am not saying don't prepare for the big unlikely catastrophes. I sure do, and I think everyone should, to whatever extent they feel they can without sacrificing quality of life. I feel my preparations have improved my quality of life, because I feel safer and worry less. If I spent money to the point of impoverishing myself, this trend would likely reverse itself.<br><br>I have a bug out bag for me and my girlfriend in my home, and matching bags at her home. I have medical and seasonal survival gear, including rations, in my Jeep, along with tools & extraction gear. I try never to let my gas tank drop below half. Etc.<br><br>I'm also prepared to bug IN. I keep my apartment stocked with enough firewood, potable water, non-perishable foods & the means to prepare them w/o utilities, etc. to lock myself in and wait out the riot, storm, utility outage or whatever.<br><br>Do I expect to ever have to use any of this stuff? Well, no, frankly. And I hope I'm right. Actually, I figure the BOBs are most likely going to be used, if ever, to leave my home quickly because of a fire. I won't have to worry about being homeless with nothing. I will have spare clothes, cash, a spare checkbook & credit card, spare keys to my vehicles and alternate family and friends' homes who have given me keys for just such an emregency, first aid gear, rations & water, etc. It gives me some nice feelings of security knowing these home and vehicle preparations are in place, but...<br><br>Sam, you said, "That's where survival starts; preparing for the unexpected."<br><br>Sorry. I have to disagree. Survival starts with preparing for the expected. On this forum, over and over again, people will ask other people, "What kinds of situations are you expecting to have to survive? What types of conditions are you likely to encounter?"<br><br>If you are preparing to go for a three day hike during the summer in an area that is currently seeing 30 days over 100F in a row and counting, you begin by preparing for the expected... heat. You wear loose cool clothing. You wear a hat with a full brim and sunglasses. You take sunscreen and LOTS of water. I'd sincerely suggest the smallest folding umbrella you can find would be an excellent accessory for use as a parasol. (Portable shade is a Good Thing. )<br><br>What you don't take is your 100% wool long underwear and snowshoes! Summer survival starts with preparing for the expected (heat), not the unexpected (cold).<br><br>AFTER, you'ver properly prepared for the heat... THEN you prepare for the unexpected freak cold front or surprisingly cool midnights. Windbreakers and/or ponchos might not be a bad idea. But, you can probably still leave the snowshoes at home. <br><br>When I started offroading, I got some extraction gear, because I "expected" that, sooner or later, I'd need it. (I was right! ) I haven't added a snorkel yet, because I "don't expect" to be needing that anytime soon. I may add one someday, but only when 1) I have made preparations for all the other "expected" emergencies and can now afford to expend energy toward mods that I "don't expect" I will ever need or 2) my offroading habits change to the point where I "expect" I may actually need a snorkel someday.<br><br>There's nothing wrong with preparing for the possible emergencies that you don't expect to ever happen. Being ready for the unexpected is a fine and worthy goal. But it's also something that you do only after you have finished preparing for all of the possible emergencies that you do expect actually might happen.<br><br>At least, that's what I'd suggest.

#3529 - 01/21/02 11:31 PM Re: on a related note
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Jet, i really didn't "expect" to need my spare key. It's just that things happen, my brain went out to lunch without the rest of me. But i do agree with you, work on being prepared for the most common probabilities first and then work on the possibilities. <br><br> I used to manage a hardware store and i would get a steady stream of people who would do this the other way around, lock their keys in the car and after waiting for the auto club or spending money on a locksmith, come in and buy a spare key from me. <br><br>If you have keys like the GM vats or the newer Fords, and don't want to spend the money for the electronics, you can usually get a "plain" key that will open the door for just a few dollars. Just remember that it won't start the vehicle.

#3530 - 01/22/02 12:33 AM Re: vehicles for survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

had a bit of tech.problems with the modem....all good commen sense stuff her glad to be on- board and enjoy sharing ideas,knowlege,and experiences as well as listening to you all........V........

#3531 - 02/06/02 03:45 PM Re: vehicles for survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

for myself i have a 2000 4x4 durango camping ect.<br>i also have my work car 91 mustang gt 2x turbo w/ 150 shot nos and other mods just in case i have to get to work fast (its fun) each his own.

#3532 - 02/06/02 04:13 PM snorkel
Anonymous
Unregistered

If and when tou get a snorkel, you will need alot more than that.. water proof ignition,alternator, and either water proof seals pre-installed with replacements or replacement seals for ALL devices under water. Also all fluids must be kept in spare quanties. IF the water reaches the up limits of the snorkel the water pressure will be about 1/2 + 1 atmosphere. Most seals are designed to keep things in, and only dust and sand out.................................................................................<br><br>I know you said this was a last thing, but I was not sure if you might think that a snorkel was all there was to it. I am sure I have not pointed out every thing....... Mac

#3533 - 02/06/02 04:23 PM TEOTWAWKI???
Anonymous
Unregistered

What does this mean? TEOTWAWKI? I am new here, and although I read posts here and elsewhere I have no idea what this word means....... Mac

#3534 - 02/06/02 05:31 PM Re: TEOTWAWKI???
Anonymous
Unregistered

The End Of The World As We Know It

#3535 - 02/06/02 05:51 PM Re: TEOTWAWKI???
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Teotwawki was a minor Anasazi diety of survival. When you've snapped the last lifeboat match, lost the striker to your metal match and the lighter fluid has evaporated, Then you send supplications to teotwawki while contructing a bow drill with the X-acto blade in your PSK. At this critical point Kokopelli brings the wind. With all due respect to the Chaco Canyon research, this is why the Anasazi disappeared.

#3536 - 02/06/02 06:25 PM Re: TEOTWAWKI???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh that makes perfect sence. But I didn't know the Anasazi had all that stuff. Hmm modern matches, life boats, ligher fluid? Wow! ;-) Mac

#3537 - 02/06/02 11:43 PM Re: snorkel
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Mac.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 753 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
Today at 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.